Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: WIP - Emprasir

Banned User

Default WIP - Emprasir

Hello Guild.

It's time to get back to what I actually like. Va'dum isn't too bad as it has a darker sider, but Clichea is too cartoony. Of course it's supposed to be like that, but I don't want to be known as the guy that does a lot of over the top colourful and cartoony stuff. I'm pretty excited about what I have so far with this. If there will be any colour it'll be desaturated, but I might keep it black and white since another goal of mine is to move on faster from maps. My goal is to make it very clean and crisp and try to develop a style I can be more proud of and that suits me better.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Emprasir1.jpg 
Views:	141 
Size:	484.4 KB 
ID:	73110
    Last edited by Sarithus; 05-01-2015 at 04:43 PM.

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Meshon's Avatar

Looks great so far! I'm looking forward to being inspired by whatever you put down here. I like your work, dark, cartoony, whatever you produce seems full of attention and care.

cheers,
    Meshon

Banned User

Nice border!!

Banned User

Thanks for the comments, guys, much appreciated.

I noticed that part of the old border looked like a face, so I decided to go further with the current motif and make into one. The new signature size and placement is temporary. Thoughts on it would be great. Cheers.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Emprasir 2.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	566.5 KB 
ID:	73117
    Last edited by Sarithus; 05-02-2015 at 01:51 PM.

Banned User

Sigh. Mistakenly saved the PSD as 50% size without knowing then closed the document. There are no previous versions and I can't system restore without going back several days. Am I screwed and have to work at a lower res?

Edit: turns out it doesn't matter. Well, that's that map ****ing over.

Is there any way at all to fix this?
    Last edited by Sarithus; 05-02-2015 at 07:51 PM.

Banned User

If your resolution was fairly good to begin with, you should be able to resize it back to the original size without too much loss. Did you try?

Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by chick View Post
    If your resolution was fairly good to begin with, you should be able to resize it back to the original size without too much loss. Did you try?
    Do you mean draw the rest of the map and then scale it down, or literally just go to image size and increase it by 50% again?

I hadn't actually thought of the second option. I was really hopeful about that, but when I do so and increase it back to its original size it's still blurrier than before, meaning the brush that I now use still looks sharper and so I have the same problem.

Edit: Increasing it back to its original size but using preserve hard edges seems to have done the trick. I can zoom back into 100% and while things look slightly too sharp now on the old drawing, when zoomed out to 50% (which is the size it'd viewable from anyway) it looks almost identical. Chick, if I could give a lifetime of reps I would. I'll rep you when I can! I don't know why I didn't think of just increasing the size again.

Note to everyone who's still as foolish as me: Create multiple backups of your damn work.
    Last edited by Sarithus; 05-03-2015 at 03:43 AM.

Professional Artist Guild Donor Sapiento's Avatar

Never reduce the size of the .psd for just saving a .jpg file. Save it in full size and then make the .jpg smaller.

Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Sarithus View Post
    Do you mean draw the rest of the map and then scale it down, or literally just go to image size and increase it by 50% again?

I hadn't actually thought of the second option. I was really hopeful about that, but when I do so and increase it back to its original size it's still blurrier than before, meaning the brush that I now use still looks sharper and so I have the same problem.

Edit: Increasing it back to its original size but using preserve hard edges seems to have done the trick. I can zoom back into 100% and while things look slightly too sharp now on the old drawing, when zoomed out to 50% (which is the size it'd viewable from anyway) it looks almost identical. Chick, if I could give a lifetime of reps I would. I'll rep you when I can! I don't know why I didn't think of just increasing the size again.
    Thanks, Sarithus, I'm just glad it (mostly) worked. It's easy to get panicky after a making a big blunder, but you would have thought of it eventually.

My method of coping with major setbacks is simple. I just remember an old Peanuts cartoon with Snoopy lying on top of his doghouse in the pouring rain, dripping wet and totally bedraggled. His thought bubble said, "The best thing to do when it's raining is to let it rain." That thought has kept me going through any number of disasters.

Quote Originally Posted by Sapiento View Post
    Never reduce the size of the .psd for just saving a .jpg file. Save it in full size and then make the .jpg smaller.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarithus View Post
    Note to everyone who's still as foolish as me: Create multiple backups of your damn work.
    Amen.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast