Thread: Best place for finished but very plain maps?

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Meshon's Avatar

Default Best place for finished but very plain maps?

Hi everyone, I'm definitely going to be producing a few maps over the next while that are nothing amazing to look at but might be useful to someone. Where should they go? I don't really feel like I want to put them in Finished Maps because they're just utilitarian. Or should I just not bother with them at all? Maps like this one. Thanks for any suggestions.

cheers,
    Meshon

Definitely bother with them! Put them in finished maps if you want them to all be in one thread, or put them separately in the WIP section under the map types.

Quote Originally Posted by Meshon View Post
    I'm definitely going to be producing a few maps over the next while that are nothing amazing to look at but might be useful to someone. Where should they go? I don't really feel like I want to put them in Finished Maps because they're just utilitarian.
    I hope you change your mind and do put them in Finished Maps, because that's exactly where they belong.

Maps that are that are nothing amazing to look at but are utilitarian are much more valuable to some of us than beautiful maps that serve no conceivable purpose. Your sample is a good example of a map that can be quite useful. Finished Maps always has included both kinds of maps mentioned here (and many other variations too). I hope it continues to do so. And I hope that we'll be able to find the utilitarian maps that you plan to make too.
    Mark Oliva
    The Vintyri (TM) Project

You can also put them into groups and present them that way if you like. That map looked finished and useful to my reckoning.

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Korash's Avatar

I believe the name of the forum "Finished Maps" describes maps that are to be taken as is and it is understood that there will be no more work done on them by the mapper posting them. I do nor recall that there are requirements that they be perdy and mind blowing in their complexity.....

In case it wasn't clear...all that was in way of light heartedly saying that yes they should be in finished maps...if that is what the are. I think many would find them useful, and if you don't mind it (and please state if otherwise) I am quite sure that some might even use them as starters for their own maps. I like them, and sure others do too.
    Art Critic = Someone with the Eye of an Artist, Words of a Bard, and the Talent of a Rock.

Please take my critiques as someone who Wishes he had the Talent

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Meshon's Avatar

Thanks for the replies. I guess that's true, Finished Maps is a resource as well as a gallery. Great! I will think about exactly how to do it, I might start a thread there for all the maps I make that are in this lightweight style.
    Quote Originally Posted by Korash View Post
    I think many would find them useful, and if you don't mind it (and please state if otherwise) I am quite sure that some might even use them as starters for their own maps. I like them, and sure others do too.
    Very interesting, I'd never thought of that but I suppose that the fact that the map is simple and empty could lend itself to modification. These will be published as part of my Last Torch collaboration but I would be very happy if anyone modified and/or used them in their own home games. I'll post a note to that effect along with the maps.

cheers,
    Meshon

Quote Originally Posted by Korash View Post
    I think many would find them useful, and if you don't mind it (and please state if otherwise) I am quite sure that some might even use them as starters for their own maps. I like them, and sure others do too.
    Exactly. These are the kind of maps that really tend to draw my attention, with theft in mind. The three of us in our project group haven't taken someone else's map and modified it to use in our own material, but we do steal some of the ideas other folks post here and incorporate them into in our own (non-profit, non-commercial) work.
    Mark Oliva
    The Vintyri (TM) Project

@Meshon : If that is what you call UNfinished maps I'd hate to think what your finished maps are like! That thing is gorgeous! Put them in the Finished Maps area. Or better yet - make a photo album here called Unfinished Maps (if you must) and put a pointer to them so people can look at, download, and use them.

My vote is these are NOT unfinished maps but good stock layouts that can be mixed and matched for use in games. :-)
    Unless otherwise stated, all my works are protected under CC BY-NC-ND.
    Photo Album : http://www.cartographersguild.com/album.php?u=88001

Plain? PLAIN? P L A I N ? ? ?

***goes back into a corner to weep with envy***

Oh.

Um, I really wouldn't call these plain either. They're a bit more than just that.
    Make sure they're somewhere where we can find them and steal --- oops, I mean peruse. Yeah, peruse.
    Looking forward to seeing these "plain maps" of yours!