Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: WIP - Tharduur

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Wip WIP - Tharduur

Ok inspired by rob75067 and his maps I will start a WIP myself. I haven't done a map in a while because I moved into a new house and had a lot of work to do. I have decided to take some time off from working on the house and do this map. Priorities right?

Anywho, I lucked out and got a FT coastline rather quickly so I can get down to work. Besides the coastline, I have decided not to use CC3 and make this map strictly in Elements.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WOoutline1.png 
Views:	115 
Size:	200.6 KB 
ID:	6762  

I'll be following this map for sure
    The road to success is always under construction.

I like this look so far. I was playing with brush strokes to kinda tone down the detail from the FT png. I discovered that Accented Edges gives you an outline to your coastline and takes a lot of detail away to give that hand drawn feeling.

I was playing with the coastal lines that are found in many parchment maps and discovered through trial and error that a thick outline around the coast, then the brush stroke spatter with a motion blur gives a great effect and is rather simple to do. It might not be perfect but not bad for a huge map.

Next step: mountains, I finally get to break out my new stylus!

Name:	Tharduur1.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	1.30 MB 
ID:	6764  
    Last edited by Bohunk; 10-01-2008 at 11:52 AM.

Added mountains, rivers and a coastline. I think as far as symbols go, I'm done. I used my stylus for the first time and it was certainly harder than I thought but I soon got the hang of it.

Name:	Tharduur2.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	1.43 MB 
ID:	6776  

Quote Originally Posted by ravells View Post
    As you know, I'm a huge fan of your maps, Bohunk - I love the way that this one is going! Forget the house - do the map!
    Uh-oh pressure's on! I hope I don't disapoint, never done a play by play before.

Quote Originally Posted by Bohunk View Post
    Added mountains, rivers and a coastline. I think as far as symbols go, I'm done. I used my stylus for the first time and it was certainly harder than I thought but I soon got the hang of it.
    I lied; added trees...

Name:	Tharduur3.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	1.49 MB 
ID:	6777  

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

I'm liking this very much so far.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Added labels and a tapestry texture and color. I am having trouble with the lower right quad. I think this can be finished but the empty space there is bugging me. Any ideas?

Also, I'm 50/50 on putting a scale on the map. However there is very little sea between the west islands and the east islands. So this is the entire world as these islands are huge and they cross the entire planet. So I think a scale might be a little silly. Wahtya think?

Name:	Tharduur4.jpg 
Views:	157 
Size:	4.13 MB 
ID:	6808  

Wow, I love that tapestry look, it really livens up the map. Although the thick black outlines seem a bit strong contrast to the background. Making them a tiny bit transparent might make this look more real (what I mean is like you can still see the texture through the red labels).

As for your question about scales, it would be useful information for those who don't know how big the planet is. But if the map is supposed to represent something made by the inhabitants of the world, then it comes down to the queston of whether they would have included a scale. Oh, and since this is the entire world map, the biggest islands should count as continents.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostman View Post
    Wow, I love that tapestry look, it really livens up the map.
    Agreed, it looks really nice!
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast