Thread: I would like to commission 4-6 small globes of epochs of earths geological history

Guild Applicant Facebook Connected

Default I would like to commission 4-6 small globes of epochs of earths geological history

I would like to commission 4-6 globes of earths geological epochs, which followed each mass extinction.
    This is to display with a fossil collection, which is organized by geological era.
    Globes could be between 4" to 6", but all the same size and "style".
    Starting with 4.5B years ago, when water first began to fall on a mostly molten planet.
    Ending of course with a modern geological globe (no countries or other boundaries).
    Here are the mass extinctions: http://www.bbc.co.uk/nature/extinction_events
    I will also need to help provide the continental arrangement of earth in each epoch.
    Not provided here, but as an example "pangea" is one common continental arrangements.
    Here is an animation shoing the continental drift, which we will capture in globes.
    http://www.divediscover.whoi.edu/tec...animation.html

I would love to connect with people who can source or create the small blank globes, and paint them in an attractive representational way.
    I would like to see examples of as similar work as possible, and after discussing details, would like to see a bid for the work.
    I am NOT especially time sensitive. I am seeking a fair price for the work.

I can be reached at Richard@Garriott.com

Thank you,
    Richard Garriott

I'm not in a position to do anything resembling useful work on this commission, but I can suggest a few resources to make the job simpler for those who might be interested:

"Paleo Earth" is an excellent search term.
    http://www.scotese.com/earth.htm is a useful resource for older globes that can be easily reprojected for pasting onto a map.
    For small globes, styrofoam balls work very well (get the smooth-surfaced ones and apply a few coats of latex primer to get a good working surface).

This sounds like a cool project but not something I have done before. Furthermore, if you are In fact Lord British it would be interesting to work with you.

I seem to recall a link some years back about a guy who builds actual globes. I'll see if I can find it agan and add the link since it might help.

Yep, found it here Bellerby & Co. globemakers. Expensive but serious.

I'm sure there are several of us here who can paint some spheres in traditional medium as well so I guess it depends on your needs and desires.

This does make me want to try doing this myself so thanks for that.
    Last edited by Jaxilon; 05-05-2015 at 02:59 AM.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jaxilon View Post
    Furthermore, if you are In fact Lord British it would be interesting to work with you.
    I'll echo that. Ultima was one of the things that got me interested in Geography and I still love the Britannia map (Really) even if it does have nonsensical bits that now make me cringe when I see them anywhere else.

So it would be awesome, to work on this if you really are LB. Unfortunately, building physical things and painting are not my strong points.

One thing that might help is the "Eggbot" A CNC plotter for eggs/spheres. It comes in an "Ostrich" size that ought to work. If you can get an appropriate vector data set in equidistant rectangular projection and plot it onto blank globes, it should only require a regular painter to fill it in, rather than a much harder to find painter who also knows enough geography to transfer projected maps accurately to a globe. GPlates probably has appropriate prehistoric models that can be exported, possibly to SVG, or if not, to Shapefiles that can be converted to SVG in a tool like QGIS. SVG can be turned into GCode for the plotter using Inkscape. A rather convoluted collection of tools but it shouldn't require a particularly deep use of any of them.

I've actually tried making one but never got around printing it, I've read lots of tutorials. I'm willing to try if no one who had actually made one and printed it out and made the actual globe will go for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Hai-Etlik View Post
    If you can get an appropriate vector data set in equidistant rectangular projection and plot it onto blank globes, it should only require a regular painter to fill it in, rather than a much harder to find painter who also knows enough geography.
    That makes me think. I have a friend that has a 3d printer and a CNC who can make anything. I should ask him and see what he an do, then I could paint it. I'll check today.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Blog Entries
    Last edited by johnvanvliet; 05-06-2015 at 12:44 AM.
    --- 90 seconds to Midnight ---
    --------

--- Penguin power!!! ---

Has this project been taken? If so I'll retire it to the archives.