Thread: A wonderful future

Link A wonderful future

(If we continue present-day plate motions the Atlantic will widen, Africa will collide with Europe closingthe Mediterranean, Australia will collide with S.E. Asia, and California will slide northward up the coast to Alaska-C.R.Scotese)
    C.R.Scotese works in an interesting geological atlas of the earth since its formation,and up in the future until 250 mahttp://www.scotese.com/Default.htm

In a future of 100 million years the earth has a long period of stable conditions since the last ice age, and life is beginning to thrive again. Layers of ice melt is, the water levels rise and the world becomes warm and humid. It is a global greenhouse that produces life. The bodies begin to diversify and adapted to stable conditions of the habitat, resulting in a vigorous and dynamic ecosystem.
    During this season volcanoes in different parts of the world come into eruption, natural disaster and cause a mass extinction.

The ocean surface
    The earth heated by the greenhouse effect, melting the layers of ice present during the 5 million years subseq’entes the twenty-first century. The sea level rose 100 feet. The coastal lands were flooded and endless oceans cover most of the continents, leaving the water in the north of Europe, Asia, America, Japan and Africa.
    With a temperature of 30 C the waters that cover 75% of the planet is also warm, with an average depth of 15 meters. This allows the daylight penetrates the seabed giving rise to the development of an ecosystem, which includes microorganisms such as algae and phytoplankton, for whom the light is indispensable in the photosynthetic process.
    Also product of warm water and little depth, a big storm will take place in future: a violent typhoon will reach the water with winds of 320 quil’metros per hour and waves 23 feet high. When the storm is over, life will be regenerated again.

The Swamp of Bengal
    During this period there will be a disruption of a piece of Africa, southeast Asia and the closing forming a large salt marsh, a day that was the Bay of Bengal. With temperatures of 39 C, a humidity of 99% and a soil rich in nutrients, the swamp of Bengal is transformed into a habitat for mountain soils, fresh water and salt water, where a number of abundant animal and plant life grows. The plants invade the water and is currently forming large organic roofs. This swamp covers approximately 23,500,000 square miles.

Forests Antarctic
    During the twenty-first century the Antarctic was at the base of the world and was the most inhospitable place on earth. One hundred million years have passed and Antarctica is now hundreds of thousands of quil’metros closer to the equator, touched on the ocean as an island. What some time ago was a landscape gélida, became a tropical forest fluorescent, and the first animals to conquer these lands are huge birds and insects. In this new Antarctica, where the hot winds blowing throughout the year at a speed between 10 and 20 knots, the sun shines and the temperature is 25 ° C.
    This type of habitat is very stable and it is proliferating all kinds of new species. In his condition of the island, the future of Antarctica is isolated from other places and is something of a small universe in itself.
    With the movement of continents, suddenly several species were found living in Ecuador that offers new opportunities for development, isolated from the creatures from other parts of the world. This tropical forest of the future of 100 million years, the oxygen from the atmosphere has increased dramatically.

The great plateau
    Australia, once attached to Antarctica went toward the north is located between the Indian and Pacific oceans, continuing its shift toward the north, oppressed in Asia and North America. The impact has meant that the land was opened toward the sky, forming a vast mountain chain. This movement has created an incredibly hostile habitat, a huge plateau, surrounded by peaks of more than 10 quil’metros high, where strong winds blowing to 177 km per hour and the amount of oxygen in air is scarce. Among these high peaks, rests a large plateau, a portion of land that is high among the clouds. Here the air is more sparse than in the top of Mount Everest and only very specialized creatures can survive in this alpine ecosystem.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20F250v4.jpg 
Views:	119 
Size:	47.2 KB 
ID:	6763   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	19F150v4.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	53.8 KB 
ID:	6823  
    Last edited by joćo paulo; 10-03-2008 at 09:01 PM.

Thanks for the head's up about C.R.Scotese's site. While I found the future world maps interesting, my real fascination is with his maps of the ancient world but that's my inner paleontologist speaking.
    Cheers,
    Tim

Paratime Design Cartography

"Do infants have as much fun in infancy as adults do in adultery?" - Groucho Marx

one day I brought here a site that talks about animals that live in the future (as some time I saw this and now I forget the address)
    http://www.cartographersguild.com/signaturepics/sigpic3377_5.gif

Quote Originally Posted by joćo paulo View Post
    one day I brought here a site that talks about animals that live in the future (as some time I saw this and now I forget the address)
    Here's the link, but is in Portuguese then use the google translator.www.avph.com.br/
    http://www.cartographersguild.com/signaturepics/sigpic3377_5.gif

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

There was a show on Discovery Channel like that, a year or so ago, how life on earth would slowly change as the planet aged.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Quote Originally Posted by Steel General View Post
    There was a show on Discovery Channel like that, a year or so ago, how life on earth would slowly change as the planet aged.
    That would be The Future is Wild. I have the series on DVD. Fun stuff. One of these days I'm going to convert the creatures into my fav SF RPG (whatever that is at the time ).
    Cheers,
    Tim

Paratime Design Cartography

"Do infants have as much fun in infancy as adults do in adultery?" - Groucho Marx