Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: October Entry: Ground Zero

Wip nolonger an entry

No WIP yet, just spouting off ideas.

Since modern or Sci-Fi future is the general consensus looking at the outline view, though the not the only way, look at Sigurd's WIP...

Rather than struggling to create unique identity from other similar futuristic megapolis maps - I wanted to try something waaaaay out there. So here goes...

The date is September 11, 2201 in the city of New Manhatten, on Triam IV, the financial capital of the Terran Federation. Although the federation is generally a democratic and a rule of law nation, its gun-boat diplomacy has ostracized various alien, and early human colonial worlds giving rise to various vengeance seeking, subversive groups, called terrorists by the Federation Council.

On this day, a micro-singularity bomb was released over Freedom Park during the commemoration ceremony of a 90 foot bronze statue of former President Addan Conders whose economic policies brought wealth to the Federation Core at the expense of the Rimworld Colonies. A micro-singularity immediately formed then collapsed on itself as a perfect sphere centered just shy of 1000 feet off the ground with the entire statue and base on its outermost edge, on the ground directly below it.

However the surrounding skyscrapers of varying height also are affected by the micro-singularity's area of effect. With vast sections of those structures within the area of effect are gone, disintegrated away. The grounds surrounding these structures will have some debris, as failed structural integrity has allowed some collapse - though it's not the pile of debris from the original 911 event.

I'll need to show floor-by-floor damage following the contours of the spheroid damage area.

I didn't want to make the typical future urbanscape. I'm still developing ideas, but this is the direction I intend to go! Something completely different. It will probably be a combination Xara and 3D map.

GP

PS: give me a couple days and I'll post an early WIP
    Last edited by Gamerprinter; 10-25-2008 at 06:17 PM.
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Administrator Facebook Connected Robbie's Avatar
    Blog Entries

ummm dood...
    All Hail FlappyMap! Long Live MapFeed!

Robbie Powell - Site Admin

Post Is that in bad taste?

Is this map idea in bad taste, Arcana?

First I was looking at a modern/future city. But then I didn't want to create just another version of a city. So next I thought a post-apocalyptic city location, but then, that's a ruin, not so much a city anymore. So next I thought war torn urban landscape with damaged structures... that's when the idea of a terrorist attack in an urban area hit me - which of course reflected 911.

Don't terrorists prefer to date attacks, on precipitous dates - what better date for a major urban terrorist attack than 911. These terrorists aren't of any particular ethnic group, nor do their concerns have anything to do with current politics or our world today.

So a downtown scene with major destruction, smoke and debris, emergency vehicles, cordoned off area from regular traffic, aerial news hover choppers overhead. These is the ideas that are coming to me at the moment.

GP
    Last edited by Gamerprinter; 10-04-2008 at 02:27 PM.
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Administrator Facebook Connected Robbie's Avatar
    Blog Entries

oh no not at all...the "umm dood" was primarily a jaw drop effect...I'm quite impressed by the concept. No worries at all from me.

the word "dood" unfortunately can be used for SOOO many things...all it takes is a slight inflection in the voice to change the entire meaning. The above use of the dood is the incredulous dood...kinda like the Neo from the Matrix "whoah..."
    All Hail FlappyMap! Long Live MapFeed!

Robbie Powell - Site Admin

Wip Earliest WIP

OK, starting to work on structures to match the shapes in the outline map. I've only made these buildings hollow in order to accomodate the interior floors, walls, elevators, and other structures, which I'll be working on next. I used Nendo to model all the buildings, then brought into Raydream to perform the Boolean function - placing a sphere that is removed from over the park area.

The first image is a screen capture from Nendo, showing the necessary structures that follow the ground layout in the outline map - before the terrorist attack.

The second image is also a 3/4 view, after the boolean function to create the micro-singularity hole...

The third image is a top down view of image 2.

Lots of work to do here, mostly exposed interior floors and the ground features. The slanted wall structures will show glass and metal, reflecting their surroundings. Plan to place commo towers, air conditioning units on rooftops. Also some news hover choppers in the air. Might place some smoke along with debris. No textures yet - this is very "plain jane" for now. Lots to do yet!

GP
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wip0.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	64.4 KB 
ID:	6800   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wip1.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	241.4 KB 
ID:	6802   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wip2.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	288.0 KB 
ID:	6803  
    Last edited by Gamerprinter; 10-25-2008 at 06:17 PM.
    DrivethruRPG store

Community Leader Facebook Connected Badger's Avatar

Wow... I can imagine that this is going to be a phenomenal map when its over with .... Great Idea too .... another unique approach and idea ... Kudos!

You are a machine
    Something witty and pithy

Guild Journeyer

This is a scary amount of work you are giving yourself, good job you work so faston this stuff

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

ummm... WOW!
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

In the spirit of Arcana and Metalcolypse: This map is gonna be brutal!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast