Thread: [HowTo] python plugins and GIMP with Windows

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Tutorial [HowTo] python plugins and GIMP with Windows

Hmm as it seems that some people got some problems to use python plugins with GIMP with windows I'll provide a short HowTo.

What do you need?
    - Download and install Python. GIMP doesnt work with Python 3 nor with the latest Python 2 release (2.7). You need to download Python 2.6.6 *Link to source* - grab the MSI Windows Installer you need - either 32 or 64 bit version.

- Now you need install the PyGTK package. There is a complete all-in-one installer avaible at the project page. *Link to source* - grab the pygtk-all-in-one-2.24.0.win32-py2.6.msi file.

Afterwards reinstall GIMP and be sure to do either a full installation or a custom installation with activated Python elements. If the GIMP installer did grey out the python elements at least one of the above programs aint correctly installed.

Now GIMP is ready to use python plugins. In order to use them you just have to copy them into your plugin folder, which is normally located at C:\Documents and Settings\<Your windows user>\gimp-2.4\plug-ins. If it aint there you can check in GIMP where your custom plugins folder is located at.

I hope this short HowTo helps

EDIT: I updated the links.
    Last edited by Sagenlicht; 08-04-2011 at 02:25 PM. Reason: Updated Links
    My Map Challenge Entries

I use GIMP for all my maps.

GIMP scripts and plug-ins overview

Everything I post on this site uses the Creative Common Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike license. Only exception to this are any pyhton scripts which use the GPL.

If you are using any of my posted stuff just use your rep stick on me

Should you be interested in using anything I posted on commercial purpose drop me a pm.