Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: [HowTo] python plugins and GIMP with Windows

Tutorial [HowTo] python plugins and GIMP with Windows

Hmm as it seems that some people got some problems to use python plugins with GIMP with windows I'll provide a short HowTo.

What do you need?
    - Download and install Python. GIMP doesnt work with Python 3 nor with the latest Python 2 release (2.7). You need to download Python 2.6.6 *Link to source* - grab the MSI Windows Installer you need - either 32 or 64 bit version.

- Now you need install the PyGTK package. There is a complete all-in-one installer avaible at the project page. *Link to source* - grab the pygtk-all-in-one-2.24.0.win32-py2.6.msi file.

Afterwards reinstall GIMP and be sure to do either a full installation or a custom installation with activated Python elements. If the GIMP installer did grey out the python elements at least one of the above programs aint correctly installed.

Now GIMP is ready to use python plugins. In order to use them you just have to copy them into your plugin folder, which is normally located at C:\Documents and Settings\<Your windows user>\gimp-2.4\plug-ins. If it aint there you can check in GIMP where your custom plugins folder is located at.

I hope this short HowTo helps

EDIT: I updated the links.
    Last edited by Sagenlicht; 08-04-2011 at 02:25 PM. Reason: Updated Links
    My Map Challenge Entries

I use GIMP for all my maps.

GIMP scripts and plug-ins overview

Everything I post on this site uses the Creative Common Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike license. Only exception to this are any pyhton scripts which use the GPL.

If you are using any of my posted stuff just use your rep stick on me

Should you be interested in using anything I posted on commercial purpose drop me a pm.

Guild Artisan Facebook Connected

A quick question... what will reinstalling GIMP do to my existing Script-fu plugins and custom brushes? Will I need to reinstall them as well?
    I think, therefore I am a nerd.
    Cogito, ergo sum nerdem.

Check out my blog: "The Undiscovered Author"
    It's the story of a writer... follow me in my simple quest to get published, and share your own writing stories, adventures and writerly tips.

Pimping my worldmap here. Still WIP... long way to go, but I'm pretty proud of what I've done so far...

As long as they are stored in your custom folders (in documents and settings if you use the default settings) you dont have to worry about them.
    My Map Challenge Entries

Everything I post on this site uses the Creative Common Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike license. Only exception to this are any pyhton scripts which use the GPL.

Should you be interested in using anything I posted on commercial purpose drop me a pm.

Guild Apprentice

I installed python from the above link - it's version 2.6. pyGTK+, pyCairo and pyGobthingy seem to need Python 2.5. Not sure at the moment whether to uninstall 2.6 and install 2.5 or wait for updates to the three pys.

GIMP 2.6 is out so i'll have a play with that before deciding

Hi Stuamn,

yep Python recently released 2.6 though if you scroll down a bit you'll find the link to 2.5.2 which is the version I would recommend at the moment.

Python 2.6 doesnt offer anything you need for GIMP, in fact the 2.6 release just prepares Python for its next major release (3.0). So if you plan to use python mainly for GIMP I would recommend to downgrade to version 2.5.2.
    My Map Challenge Entries

Guild Apprentice

Thanks, It works now. I uninstalled everything before starting. Gimp, GTK and python 2.6. Then I installed as per your instructions. I would rep you but it seems that I have already done so recently. I'll spread some about and rep you next time I see your name

stuamn

Guild Artisan Facebook Connected

Okay, so I finally found time to get around to trying to install Python so I can use the python scripts in GIMP. (Until now, I'd just accumulated a bunch of scripts in my downloads folder.)

So... apparently I ran into a problem. I installed Python, no problem, I now have Python on my system. It's not Python 2.5.2, but 2.5.4, as that was the only 2.5-level version available on that site.

Then I installed gtk+. When I went to the runtime link, it sent me to a place where I downloaded gtk-2.12.9-win32-1. So I installed that.

Next for the other three, PyCairo, PyGTK, and PyGObject.

There were several selections available here, some ending with a file name descriptor of py2.6 and some with a descriptor of py2.5. I went with the 2.5 versions.

When I installed each of these, I got a succession of three error messages. I didn't keep an accurate note of what these errors were. It was the same three for each item, and started with a "could not create... yada yada yada".

I clicked "OK" through the errors, and it completed the install. Apparently, not really, though, it just told me it did.

So, I have a few python scripts now sitting in my GIMP Scripts folder (same place as all the scm files that are showing just fine), but I can find none of the scripts. I'm guessing... something went wrong with the install. I had reinstalled GIMP as directed, and it did not have the Python options greyed-out, so I assumed that despite the three error messages mentioned above, maybe everything was alright. But alas, it is not.

So... What do you think I did wrong? I'm guessing the problem must have been with the GTK+... but I'm not sure.
    I think, therefore I am a nerd.
    Cogito, ergo sum nerdem.

Check out my blog: "The Undiscovered Author"
    It's the story of a writer... follow me in my simple quest to get published, and share your own writing stories, adventures and writerly tips.

Pimping my worldmap here. Still WIP... long way to go, but I'm pretty proud of what I've done so far...

Quote Originally Posted by Karro View Post
    Okay, so I finally found time to get around to trying to install Python so I can use the python scripts in GIMP. (Until now, I'd just accumulated a bunch of scripts in my downloads folder.)

So... apparently I ran into a problem. I installed Python, no problem, I now have Python on my system. It's not Python 2.5.2, but 2.5.4, as that was the only 2.5-level version available on that site.

Then I installed gtk+. When I went to the runtime link, it sent me to a place where I downloaded gtk-2.12.9-win32-1. So I installed that.

Next for the other three, PyCairo, PyGTK, and PyGObject.

There were several selections available here, some ending with a file name descriptor of py2.6 and some with a descriptor of py2.5. I went with the 2.5 versions.

When I installed each of these, I got a succession of three error messages. I didn't keep an accurate note of what these errors were. It was the same three for each item, and started with a "could not create... yada yada yada".

I clicked "OK" through the errors, and it completed the install. Apparently, not really, though, it just told me it did.

So, I have a few python scripts now sitting in my GIMP Scripts folder (same place as all the scm files that are showing just fine), but I can find none of the scripts. I'm guessing... something went wrong with the install. I had reinstalled GIMP as directed, and it did not have the Python options greyed-out, so I assumed that despite the three error messages mentioned above, maybe everything was alright. But alas, it is not.

So... What do you think I did wrong? I'm guessing the problem must have been with the GTK+... but I'm not sure.

The most important thing I found was you have to reboot after installing Python before you install anything else. Worst case scenario, install something without errors in the order listed and reboot before trying the next thing.
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Also, python scripts actually are plugins, and have to be in the plugins folder, not the scripts folder (cause script-fu/tiny-fu is actually a plugin... Confusing, I know)...

-Rob A>

Question Question concerning Inkscape Install and Python

Hello, All.

I have a general question for you. I noticed when I installed Inkscape that Python files were installed as well.

Is there anything I need to be concerned with before installing the Python files needed for GIMP or are the Python files installed with Inkscape okay or, what?

Thanks.

Regards,

Gary
    In the end you will see, you is you and me is me.
    © May 29, 1980

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast