Thread: Star Fort

Default Star Fort

After failing miserably in my attempt to finish this map in the latest Lite Challenge, I'm setting up a thread here so that I can keep working on it. Now that there's no pressure on me, I'm going to take my time and redo the bits I don't like. I'm hoping to put in a few hours over the weekend and will post an update soon.

Do you guys have any tips for working on huge images? I'd like to make a big image so that I can include lots of detail that gets lost if the image is only around the A4 300dpi print size. I'm working primarily in Inkscape, then I export into Gimp so that I can add shadows or distress some of the buildings. Right now I've got about ten layers and already Gimp is starting to slow and takes a second or two to redraw the image and it's only going to get worse. My computer maybe isn't a rocket, but it's an i7 with 16 gigs of RAM and I run Ubuntu, so the OS isn't hogging resources the way Windows sometimes does, but I'm not sure how best to approach this. I'm thinking of working in sections, like maybe working on a quarter at a time then putting it all together at the end. (This is one advantage of a geometrically-shaped city!) I just wondered if those of you who deal with this sort of thing on a regular basis had any tips.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	starfort140515.png 
Views:	97 
Size:	1.39 MB 
ID:	73375
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I'm half working on a huge map (been in hiatus) and there I chose to work on the basic outline and "bottom" of the map first, then flattening everything importing that image into a new one where I started on the mountains and so forth. I haven't opened the map since I got a new computer so I hope the new one will be better equipped to handle it since its 5-6 years younger. But working in sections seems like the prudent choice with a map like yours
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Half of my problem is that, because I'm quite inexperienced, I use a lot of layers and blend modes and I hate to flatten in case I change my mind at some point down the road (which I always do!) Gimp doesn't have adjustment layers like PS, which is a pity.

I think I'll go for four 'quarter' images and only import them into one giant image once they're complete. Thanks for your comment and happy new computer! (I love getting a shiny new toy!!)

Blog Entries

If you save the first file before flattening, then use the flattened image for a new file, then you can come back and change that "base image" if you want to make a change later. Yes, you'll have to go through the different files one by one depending on how far back you made a change, but that would mostly be open - import - save.. but it works
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::

Yeah, that would work, though I make so many changes and probably won't remember what I did to get there LOL!

One of these days I'll start out with a clear vision and work steadily towards it, instead of making it up as I go along and changing my mind every five minutes. *sighs*

Blog Entries

yeah, clear visions are nice... but rare - its art, so it will always change I think.. but I wholeheartedly agree that a clear vision would be nice some day
    regs tilt

With your computer I don't know why you are getting that much slow down. Your computer is better than mine but I'm still able to work on very large images without much issue. Unless the original image is many times bigger in scale than the one you are posting here.

On a side note my only critique so far is your bastions are an odd shape. I dunno if you're going for true historic authenticity but they should look way more triangular because of firing lines and all that stuff. I'm not actually a huge fan of those style defences myself because of how much they change/dictate the shape of a city or fort. But you know... guns. They do that. =P
    My new Deviant-thing. I finally caved.

I use a lot of layers as well. Color code then or number into groups will save you some time down the road. You are thinking correct to do a city Section at a time and put them together at the end. Just make notes on any system you use to create a look so the rest will match.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Tilt,
    Hehe and here I thought it was just me that muddled along. Nice to know that others struggle too!

Larb,
    Yeah, I posted a smaller version just to open the thread really. I want to work on a much larger version because otherwise much of the detail gets lost. I'm also hoping to print a big version too (maybe).

Gimp hasn't become painfully slow yet, but it's already taking a second or two to 'redraw' and I know it's only going to get worse as I add more layers. If it stayed the same as now, I wouldn't be bothered but I get incredibly frustrated when it takes several seconds to make even a small change. I'm actually having better luck with Inkscape (about 90% of my work so far has been in Inkscape). There are a huge number of objects and who knows how many nodes, but I'm using a lot of layers, and hiding the layers that aren't in use keeps Inkscape really snappy. I wish Gimp did the same.

I'm going to create one large image with the background and roads, then I'll create new images for each 'quarter' and eventually, when I'm done, I'll combine everything.

Thanks for the comment about the bastions. I'll take a look at that.

Jax,
    Yeah, multiple sections is the way forward. I think it shouldn't be too difficult (famous last words!) because I have the roads to act as a buffer between each section, so - theoretically - it should be easy enough to line everything up. Thanks for the advice!

I'm glad you keep working on this one ChickPea! I like the concept and think you have a good start.