Thread: Newbie Greetings

Guild Novice

Default Newbie Greetings

Hi there folks, I've spent the last 15 years of my life actively trying, and usually failing, to write stories. For the last 5/6 years, I've also been dabbling with map-making. Worldbuilding, I find, is often the most rewarding aspect and I've always wanted to do better with my maps. I tend to sketch them on numerous pages of A4, but, like many writers, I'm plagued by self-doubt. I've taken the plunge now, and decided to commit to learning the craft in a desperate bid to get better. Some of the work you guys produce here is truly inspiring. There's nothing I'd love more than to see my world realised to such a fantastic standard. As a rule, I suck at art. My maps are awkward and amateurish, but I'm desperate to learn. I hope and intend to contribute to the community, and look forward to getting to know some or all of you.

Welcome to the Guild and the path to become a map master! Only a few can reach that state of transcendence!

No, seriously, this is your home, full of helpful and kind people.

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Korash's Avatar

Welcome to The Guild, The Mappiest Place on the Web

Remember one thing as you traipse through the maps and (hopefully) the Tutorials, and that is that every single map that you see here has been done by someone who started right where you are now. Learning how to...We all start at the beginning. All it takes is practice, and a willingness to improve. Some practice more than others (I fall in the latter category) and improve with great speed. I could name quite a few who have joined and went through the tuts and within a few months were making wonderful maps.

The main thing to do is try a few tuts and post your work in the WIPs (Work In Progress) so that we can help you with any problems or questions you might have. You don't actually HAVE to do a tut, but it is a great way to pick up techniques, so do a few at least. Or just post what you have and let us guide you to where you want to go.
    Art Critic = Someone with the Eye of an Artist, Words of a Bard, and the Talent of a Rock.

Please take my critiques as someone who Wishes he had the Talent

Banned User

Hello MapHatter, welcome to the Guild!

Banned User

A fellow Scot, welcome to the Guild! You'll be better at drawing maps in no time.
    Last edited by Sarithus; 05-21-2015 at 04:04 AM.