Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: October Entry: Rise of Osham

Guild Member

Wip October Entry: Rise of Osham

So... kinda new to this mapping challenge thingy... pardon mistakes in my post format...

Some stats:
    - Hand drawn on HP Pavilion tx2000 (laptop with built-in WACOM tablet on the screen) using Photoshop CS3.
    - Took the challenge jpeg and morphed it into a perspective view, then started drawing on top of it.
    - Mapping style is somewhere in the mid 1600s

This is the top-right of the map (all I have done so far )

### Latest WIP ###
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	style preview.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	119.8 KB 
ID:	6784  

Blog Entries

Cool, and that sounds like a neat laptop you got there too !

Community Leader Facebook Connected Badger's Avatar

Very nice... Big fan of hand drawn style.... like the way you've approached the challenge and you sire... Have been bonked on the head with a cup o' reputation .... REPPED! ...

Guild Member

Quote Originally Posted by Redrobes View Post
    Cool, and that sounds like a neat laptop you got there too !
    Oh, I love my laptop! I was actually saving up for the previous model (tx1000) but it took me so long to get the money that the newer model (tx2000) came out. The screen rotates and folds down so I have a flat surface to work with.

More here.

Quote Originally Posted by delgondahntelius View Post
    Very nice... Big fan of hand drawn style.... like the way you've approached the challenge and you sire... Have been bonked on the head with a cup o' reputation .... REPPED! ...
    Why thank ye kind sir!
    I'm not sure which style I prefer... I actually really like the symbol-based systems (like Campaign Cartographer) but it doesn't have the level of control I get from hand-drawn.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Badger's Avatar

Oh... while I'm happy you have such a cool comp... I secretly want to choke you and take it for myself.... heh.. J/K ... really nice laptop

I too used to be a symbol man... CC2pro was what I primarily worked with, though I've since bought the CC3 collection now. Photoshop however, opened my eyes and I just can't ever, never, ever give it up .... We all turn to the darkside eventually

Oh Gosh ! I didn't even know they went so far with laptops... Need to keep myself up to date...

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Cool laptop, and nice original twist on this month's challenge.

I dub thee newly repped *bonk*
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Always good to see a new member jump right into the challenge! And I heartily endorse the John Speed emulation. I have a print of one of his maps hung in my bedroom. A poor photo is attached. I really need to learn how to shoot through the glass properly.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	speed.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	446.9 KB 
ID:	6789  
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

Guild Member

Quote Originally Posted by Midgardsormr View Post
    A poor photo is attached. I really need to learn how to shoot through the glass properly.
    Ehhh, I don't know how comfortable you are with me getting technical here... I'll assume you have some functional knowledge of manual-mode photography...

Put the camera on the tripod and get as close you can so the frame fills the entire camera preview.
    Dim the lights, close the curtains, do not use flash.
    Use a small aperture (3.5 to 5.5) and an extended exposure. Set the f-stop first and adjust the shutter speed until you get level metering.
    Set the camera to a timed-shot (usually 3, 5, or 10 seconds), push the button and walk away. you don't want your movement to move the camera while it is taking the shot or you'll get blur.

The goal here is to diffuse the light gently across the glass; sudden changes is what causes those white clouds.

That is one cool laptop Darken, and I love the approach you've taken with the challenge too. And thanks for the tip on taking photos of maps behind glass, I've got a few framed ones.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast