Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Mapping Middle Earth

If anyone is thinking this sounds fun, but hasn't an idea what to map yet, here are some ideas for some Tolkien mapping projects that haven't been overdone:

The world at the time of the Lamps.

Beorn's estate.

Battle maps of any major engagement, showing troop positions and movement.

Numenor. Surprisingly, I don't think I've seen a non-JRRT map of this defined, important location.

Interior layout of the Lonely Mountain.

Angband or Utumno. Actually, the ruins of Utumno would make a nice location for Middle-Earth gaming. Canonical, well away from established "history" from fairly early on, underground, and justifying all kinds of strange magic, monsters, and features.

Most of the cities/towns. Minas Tirith might be a bit done. This would include underground Dwarf and Orc settlements.

Woodmen settlements of Mirkwood.

Any localized Beleriand maps (the whole map has been reproduced on occasion, but I can't recall any area being blown up and detailed).

A map of Aragorn's journeys. He did a lot of traveling, including off the bounds of the main map.

Or how about the Green Dragon Inn or Bag End, if you want to go small?

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

I was actually thinking about doing Angband... hmmm.

Those are good suggestions RDH.
    Sarithus had said about doing Valinor or Beleriand but I haven't heard anything from him since so not sure there.
    Sap is doing Rohan. Abu is doing Dor-En-Ernil. ChickPea is doing the Ford of Rivendell.
    I just finished Rhovanion and Mordor and am moving on to Gondor when I have time.
    Diamond - I'd love to see what you'd do with Angband. That has loads of potential.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond View Post
    Gogogo Diamond, Angband would be sooo epic!

Quote Originally Posted by rdanhenry View Post
    Numenor. Surprisingly, I don't think I've seen a non-JRRT map of this defined, important location.
    Indeed very nice suggestions rdanhenry. Not sure what exactly you mean by "non-Tolkien" Númenor map, but you can find at least some maps made by other people out there in the net and also here at the CG. Btw, my personal favourite is Astrogators lovely hand-dawn map.

Quote Originally Posted by ChickPea View Post
    Does anyone read the Silmarillion around here? Some maps from that would be uber cool.
    I couldn't agree more. Remapping the basic terrain of The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings over and over again certainly produces maps that are interesting to see, but good maps of the North and other areas described in The Silmarillion and other lesser known Tolkien works certainly would be more interesting and perhaps more useful too.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond View Post
    Great! It would be super if you moved on from thinking about to actually doing it. I can't think of a Tolkien map I'd like to see more!

As far as I know, Tolkien never drew a map of the dungeon Angband, but there probably are a number of non-canon private dungeon maps of Melkor's underground fortress. Do any guild members have one?
    Last edited by - Max -; 06-05-2015 at 09:44 AM. Reason: merging double posts
    Mark Oliva
    The Vintyri (TM) Project

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Oliva View Post
    As far as I know, Tolkien never drew a map of the dungeon Angband, but there probably are a number of non-canon private dungeon maps of Melkor's underground fortress. Do any guild members have one?
    I never made a Angbar map myself, I only have (and know) the one from "The Atlas of Middle-Earth" by Karen Wynn Fonstad. Maybe it's helpful. You can see it here.

Quote Originally Posted by Abu Lafia View Post
    I never made a Angbar map myself, I only have (and know) the
    Angband Map

from "The Atlas of Middle-Earth" by Karen Wynn Fonstad. Maybe it's helpful. You can see it here.
    Thanx! Interesting. It could be a starter for a Middle Earth cartographer who wants to do a full-blown dungeon.
    Mark Oliva
    The Vintyri (TM) Project

@Mark - You could be that cartographer.
    I'm glad people are enjoying this and getting in on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Oliva View Post
    Angband Map
    Oh! Seems to be a DSA (the dark eye)-related "slip of the tounge"...

Quote Originally Posted by J.Edward View Post
    @Mark - You could be that cartographer.
    I could and to no small extent would like to be, but the amount of time I need to spend writing, mapping and putting together graphic material for our Jörðgarð™ campaign setting makes it extremely unlikely that I ever will get around to doing it.

Still. Nonetheless. The idea of mapping Melkor's huge dungeon in some style other than those we use for Jörðgarð is tempting, to say the least.
    Mark Oliva
    The Vintyri (TM) Project

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123