Thread: Ground fog

Guild Novice

Help Ground fog

Hey,

I am rather new to mapping, I bought CC3 with DD3 to make battlemaps in roll20.
    the basic mapping with effects is going rather well, but I would like to make my maps a little more earie.
    I found the hue/saturation/light effect to make them a little darker, but I would like to add a fog (not fog of war) to the map.
    Profantasy states in the product description it can be done, but I cannot find any tutorial how.

Can anyone help me?

other tips on making my maps a little more spooky are welcome too

Cheers,

Kay

ps.
    I am taking outdoor battle maps atm forgot to mention
    Last edited by KagBB; 05-23-2015 at 01:33 AM.

Banned User

Hello KagBB, welcome to the Guild! Sorry, I don't know the answer to your question, but very likely someone will very soon answer it. I'll just say hello and wait to see one of your maps when you get this sorted out

Guild Novice

Thank you for the welcome
    I am currently working true the learning curve of CC3, DD3 and CD3.
    There are many many possibilities with those programs, so maps for display might take a while

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Korash's Avatar

KagBB, Welcome to the Guild, The Mappiest Place on the Web.

Not that familiar with the CC suite of programs either, but if you are looking for help with FEEL, I would suggest that you post up your WIP so that we can look at what you have and where you are going and give some other clues that might help you get there.
    Art Critic = Someone with the Eye of an Artist, Words of a Bard, and the Talent of a Rock.

Please take my critiques as someone who Wishes he had the Talent

I haven't touched CC3 in a while, and am not sure CC3/DD3/CD3 can handle creating a fog effect or not. I know that some cartographers take a DD3/CD3 map then add effects in another program like Photoshop or GIMP (image editors), I could do the same using Xara Photo & Graphic Designer or other vector applications. That's not too difficult to do, but requires you to work outside of ProFantasy software to accomplish, once to export the image to JPG format.

As I said, I haven't used CC3 in a while, though I still have the program. I did create 187 map objects as part of the ProFantasy Modern Map Symbol Set, though I used Xara to create those symbols on commission to ProFantasy.
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Guild Novice

this is a quote from the profantasy site:

"Textures
    CC3 supports scaled textures, with transparencies. These give your maps attractive backgrounds and let you add fog, water and similar features to supplement the existing vector hatch styles. You can import folders full of textures into templates and drawings to give a palette of drawing styles to make attractive maps."

so it can be done, I just don't know how

thank you for all replies though, makes me feel welcome.

Guild Novice

Found it!!
    you make a png in some photo editor, then you render clouds on it. save the picture with a transparent background.
    Import in CC3 as a bitmap fill style, make a separate fog sheet. Draw a shape on it(shape of your fog/clouds) fill it with the unscaled png of your fog (make the original big enough).
    Adjust transparency as you like (sheet effect) and move the sheet up and down the list the lower or rise your mist.

Thank you for all replies and support

Cheers,

Kay

Guild Novice

Here is a work in progress with fog on it.
    Please remember WIP and my second map ever
    Tips are more then welcome.
    Only the outside part has fog.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Werewolf den.JPG 
Views:	54 
Size:	864.4 KB 
ID:	73703

Blog Entries

a bit to noisy and repeating

try a lower frequency noise
    something like