Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: May / June 2015 Lite Challenge: Flight to the Ford (LotR)

Thanks for looking at this, J! I appreciate you taking the time to help. I'm redoing the cliffs right now and will update again soon.
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

I've tried reworking my cliffs a bit. Not entirely sure how successful I've been, but I think they're perhaps a little bit better than they were. I've also redone my rivers.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cliffs.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	665.7 KB 
ID:	73746

Next up, redo the road and try - for the 47th time - to create decent looking forests!

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected JefBT's Avatar

Thank you, J.Edward. You helped me too with that answer!

The river could also be have more horizontal movement and not so vertical, more snake like, they seem too simple. Although it's a top down view maybe add some shadow to one side or other. Also if it's top down would there be some flat area as you decends down (tiers)?

Looking good ChickPea, love the colors.

Bogie, thanks

Snodsy, the basic layout for the rivers comes from Tolkien's original map, though I added the small stream in the middle as I figured Rivendell would have its own water supply. I'm guessing when you say "The river could also be have more horizontal movement and not so vertical" you mean the north-south river? I actually thought it looked fairly natural as it was. It needs to run roughly in that direction to be true to the original, and I need a relatively straight part to have the bridge across. I also wanted some empty space to add a couple of things in the top left-ish area, so that's the reasons why it looks the way it does. The cliffs probably could probably do with some gradations but I'm being influenced by some pics I've seen where they're very steep. I've haven't finished all the shading and shadowing yet, so hope to improve things a little before the end of the challenge. Thanks for your comment.

I've finally made some progress with this map. I've redone everything (sometimes a couple of times) and have reached the point where it'll just have to do. My cliffs are still crap. I'm just not great with perspective and I half-wish I'd never decided to include them, but oh well, you've got to try! I've still a few things to do around Rivendell. I want to add a couple more small structures and maybe some gardens/trees/flowers and stuff like that. I think I'll tweak the paths/cobbles a little as they seem quite blurry in that area.

I decided to treat the whole chapter 'Flight to the Ford' as part of map, as it all builds up to the ambush, so that's why I've included a summary of the chapter in the text (also, it gives me the chance to be snarky!) and I want to do a sort of storyboard along the bottom with a few icons/highlights from the chapter. It might be that I'll run out of time and won't be able to finish, knowing my slow/rubbish drawing skills, but if that's the case, I can just crop out the whole bottom part and I'll still have a finished map. It's always good to have a backup plan!

### Latest WIP ###

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ambush5.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	2.32 MB 
ID:	73909

Maybe THIS will help. The guy draws a cliff and talks about shading.

Guild Expert Guild Supporter Abu Lafia's Avatar

Don't be too harsh with yourself ChickPea, in my view it's looking really great! Good composition, fantastic color-choice and overall very clear and well "readable".

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast