Thread: How to map out city districts? (fantasy)

Question How to map out city districts? (fantasy)

Hi all,

Looking for some exemplars and/or advice on making fantasy-style city maps whose primary use would be to showcase districts or regions effectively (e.g. "military quarter", "market district", "upper class housing" etc).

Ideally I would also like to avoid representing each building explicitly (I'm mapping a rather large city, and I don't know that I have it in me to go to this level of detail)... though from what I've seen so far, that does appear to be almost a staple of the genre.

Thanks in advance everyone =]

You think that's bad, when I make a city, I not only include all the buildings, I put roofs on those buildings so mine look like buildings instead of irregular polygons with a color texture. There are some city maps created here that are a mass of connected buildings so that alleys, courtyards and irregular shapes are shown, but individual buildings are not - so that might be one way to shortcut your way to elements of your map.
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

I'm working on a map now that I've used a technique in Photoshop, a square brush with spacing set at 150, size jitter at 33%, then Bevel & Emboss adjustment layers on the buildings that have a bevel set all the way up to create roof peaks, a drop shadow, stroke and pattern fill-, then you can paint the buildings on pretty quickly, you can also erase just as easily - see my map - the girls of Italy - in this same forum, hope this helps

Guild Adept Facebook Connected xpian's Avatar
    Golden Gate Park Panhandle, San Francisco

Here is Torstan's tutorial on how to use brushes in Photoshop to lay down a great number of buildings very simply: http://www.fantasticmaps.com/2013/03...namic-brushes/
    _*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_

Open to cartographic commissions. Contact me: christian [at] stiehl.net
    christianstiehl.com

Guild Journeyer

Here is Torstan's tutorial on how to use brushes in Photoshop to lay down a great number of buildings very simply: http://www.fantasticmaps.com/2013/03...namic-brushes/
    That looks like a very interesting method for drawing the buildings in photoshop at a small scale... I am now looking for an opportunity to try this out!