Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: houses in Adobe Illustrator

I have used 3D for a long time as well - but haven't used any really good programs I guess. Last time was three years ago with Bryce - I was trying to make a town - but the program couldn't handle the size (or my computer?).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fredport3_center.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	92.3 KB 
ID:	73663

Bryce is a good 3D program, but generally I concentrate on top down maps. If I want to create an ornate rooftop, then I do that, but don't waste my time creating the building underneath the eaves - it will never be seen from a top down perspective. You can also place some rooftops at a higher elevation than surrounding buildings to imply taller buildings. Rather than creating raised roadways, as in your 3D rendering, my roads would be cut into the ground plane - a lower elevation than the ground surrounding the roads. I still might place a pavement, but a simple repeating texture of flagstone pavement on a flat polygon plane placed in the space between the ground plane and the cut streets. Your piers and bridge are fine.

Note when I say I use 3D to model detailed structures and complex objects, I am just creating the rooftop or complex object. I don't need to do the entire map in 3D. My normal techniques in creating any map doesn't change in that I rely on a vector drawing application to create 90% of the map. Only things like detailed rooftops, city walls, piers, and especially the ships might I spend the time of doing 3D work, everything else is done in my preferred mapping application. These days I never place texture maps on my 3D objects, I usually apply a flat 10% gray in the 3D program so the appropriate shadows are depicted. I export that as a JPG, import to my preferred application, where I apply semi-transparent layers of photo-image fills or fractal color mixes to accomplish a faster and easier way of finishing my 3D objects.

I only use 3D to create those details that are difficult to accomplish in other ways. As in any art composition, you don't need to perfectly replicate every realistic detail, you only need to include enough detail to convey that extra level of detail to make a remarkable final result. If your rooftops, trees, city walls and ships in the harbor are done in 3D, your overall map really pops, enhancing the existing map you created in Illustrator or Photoshop.
    Last edited by Gamerprinter; 05-27-2015 at 07:01 AM.
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Absolutely wonderful maps as always Gamerprinter! I thought I'd pipe-up about Nendo. If it is running under Windows 98 (se?) and you want to use it on your current system - download Virtual Box from Oracle. It is a fairly light weight program for running older OSs. Install it, have it create a 512MB disk drive for Windows 98. I think the max size for 98 was 4GB. So make it whatever size you want it to be up to 4GB. Install Windows 98 onto the virtual disk drive. If you don't have a free CD drive to do this you can always install Gizmo (the free CD/DVD virtual drive program) and have Gizmo read the Windows 98 CD and create a virtual CD. Then load the virtual CD onto the virtual CD drive and Virtual Box will see it. (That's a LOT of virtual there!) Anyway, install Windows 98 onto the virtual drive and then install Nendo onto the disk drive. Then when you want to run the program you don't have to switch systems. You just bring up Virtual Box and start up the Windows 98 disk. I have a Windows 3.1, 95, and 98 virtual disk drive. So I can bring up any of them when I need to do so. If you use Windows 8.1 you can also use Virtual Box to run Windows XP, Vista, and 7. The nice thing about it is that if you don't need the drive (like I rarely use the 3.1 disk anymore) then just copy the virtual disk drive to a backup disk and delete it. Virtual Box doesn't care. It just looks to see which drives are available. :-)
    Unless otherwise stated, all my works are protected under CC BY-NC-ND.
    Photo Album : http://www.cartographersguild.com/album.php?u=88001

Guild Novice

Those are so cool

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12