Thread: Hey everyone!

Default Hey everyone!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	the world of mana.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	1.01 MB 
ID:	73640

Hi guys. I've just started doing a map for a friend and he recommended this site as a great source of info. This is my first Photoshop drawing (I'm used to doing drawings with pen, ink and paper), so I'm interested in any advice and comments. Thx in advance

Nice work DM. It's looking pretty good to start.
    Most all looks good. The rivers seem like they might be a bit wide in relative scale to the mountains.
    A lot of nice coast shapes. I'll be interested to see where you take this.

edit - Oh, and welcome to the Guild.

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Korash's Avatar

Welcome to the Guild, The Mappiest Place on the Web

First post with a Map which leads to some First rep

I like where you are at and can see some great potential here, but I gotta ask about the rivers between the mountains. Usually you would not have a river that connects both coasts. Normally they flow from high ground to low (Mountains to Coast) and not along the mountains. It looks like what you have in the lower land mass is a new mass raising up between two others that were in the process of coming together. I like what you have there and it is VERY interesting, but I gotta ask if that was your intent, because you ALSO have what looks like two masses coming together to the west which kinda doesn't make sense to me.

Not that tall this can't be explained, but the most "logical" reasons would definitely take this into the realm of Magic of some sort. Nothing wrong with that at all if that is where you want it, but problematic if not.

Don't get me wrong. I want to see this develop. In order to get some more and possibly better comments and critique, I strongly suggest that you start up a WIP (Work In Progress) thread over here. A lot more people frequent these threads and most are quite willing to give friendly advice. If you have any questions, or are stuck with something, you can always ask them there.

Have fun during your stay
    Art Critic = Someone with the Eye of an Artist, Words of a Bard, and the Talent of a Rock.

Please take my critiques as someone who Wishes he had the Talent

Banned User

Hi Dark MInstrel, welcome to the Guild.

I like your drawing style, but I agree with the others that your rivers are not naturally placed. I also think your islands are far too dense and too close to the coast (unless of course, magic is involved again)

The bunch of islands near the coast at the main continent are suposed to be marsh lands, which will come together when I add the vegetation and color. I will try to make them look more realistic later on. Thx for the advice chick.

I'll fix the rivers the next time I start drawing. Thx

The two land masses in the west were once one but after the great rift they divided. For any more info you need to know the backstory of the world, and believe me. There's a lot of it The mountain range is another story. The general idea was to get something close to Switzerland or Finland. But you have a point. I'll add some more mountains and split the low or water to the north and south segment. Thx
    Last edited by - Max -; 05-27-2015 at 04:47 AM. Reason: merging multiple posts