Thread: How do I make a dungeon/cave "feel" like it's underground

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected NathanC's Avatar

Question How do I make a dungeon/cave "feel" like it's underground

This sounds like a stupid question, when I say it out-loud, but I need a pointer.

I've been working on a map and the first level decends into the earth. I though I had that feeling but the more I look at it the more I really don't think I have any idea what I'm doing.

Basically I'm trying to get the effect that the ground level is at the base of a hill/mountain and the dungeon decends into the depts below.

Pointers appreciated.

I've got a tutorial for how I create cavern maps, though it doesn't have a top entrance. I would create the caves as shown, but instead of a same level entrance, I'd enclose the entire cave, then create the entrance at a corner area and use bevels the same way the caves are created and placed above the cavern layers. The entire entry layer would have a heavily feathered edge, or a circular transparency (no transparency in center, 100% transparent on outer edge).

Although I used a vector application (Xara Photo & Graphics Designer), you can easily achieve this in Illustrator, GIMP or Photoshop.

Here's how I'd do it...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sample-cave.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	71.0 KB 
ID:	73660Name:  sample-top-entrance.jpg
Views: 245
Size:  11.7 KBClick image for larger version. 

Name:	sample-combined.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	73.7 KB 
ID:	73662
    Last edited by Gamerprinter; 05-27-2015 at 03:26 AM.
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected NathanC's Avatar

Thanks for the input, I'll give it a shot when I get back to the map