Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: The semi-canonical maps of Middle Earth

Thanks ChickPea.
    Like I said, I'm glad you made the suggestion.
    Now I have to come up with something interesting for Rhovanion to compete with that fire.

Hey ChickPea - this one goes out to you for the title suggestion.
    I did a lot more on the title for Rhovanion.
    I am trying to make the titles go along with the nature of the region they represent. So Mordor - Fire. Rhovanion - Plants.
    This one is not fully completed yet. I still have some stuff to do though it is pretty close to done.
    I went a little over board on the Mirkwood forest hills, but it's fun. No worries.
    I may have to redo the secondary roads as they're a little difficult to see in some parts.
    I still have to do the icons for towns/cities and such.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rhovanion [m1] by sirinkman.jpg 
Views:	142 
Size:	1.79 MB 
ID:	73740

Wow, the title for this one is gorgeous! That's a fantastic idea to let the titles show the contrast between the different regions, especially since the maps themselves are all in the same style.

I'm still loving those mountains. I almost want to reach out and run my fingers over them, because they really look like you'd be able to feel the ridges under your fingers!
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

I'm absolutely loving the art direction on these maps.

The only feedback I have right now is you ought to find a better, more clearer way to differentiate between forests and water. They look pretty similar on first glance. Perhaps make the difference in grays greater or add some saturation to one?

So beatiful. I love the delicate color palette chosen. It fits very well. And I agree with some of the comments, fantastic mountains that look amazing when zoomed out too. And I was going to mention what pokealypse just did. Maybe when water and forests appear together they may benefit from more differentiation. However, I really love the styles of both ! congratulations. I will certainly keep an eye on this progress! thanks for sharing!

Thanks ChickPea.
    Pokealypse - thank you.
    That is one of the difficulties of this kind of monochrome map, trying to get the balance between geographic types and the monochrome tone used.
    I can see what you mean and will explore some possibilities. Thanks for that feedback.
    testador - thank you as well. And thanks for adding your voice to that feedback.

Hopefully I'll be able to update some of this tomorrow or sunday.

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Sigh..... yet another person whose brain I'll have to eat so I can absorb some talent....

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond View Post
    Sigh..... yet another person whose brain I'll have to eat so I can absorb some talent....
    Just be careful to separate out those dark and mutated sections.

Damn. That's some fine work J. I love what you've done with the title. Once again i'm impressed with how quickly others here like yourself can produce such excellent work. Takes me ages to draw anything that looks halfway decent.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Guild Journeyer

Great Maps! Some minor correction:

1. Brown Lands move little bit North, basically other side of the Road.
    2. Tallath Harroch- Means Southern Horse Plains in Sindarian...Move it south of where it is now.
    3. In past non-canocial works Romenost covered the next intersection in the Road little bit east of where you have it now. Translates to Eastern Road Fortress.
    4. Dagorlad goes where you have Dead Marshes and Dead Marshes little West and South of where they are now. Dagorlad translates to Battle Plain.

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast