Thread: Greetings

mikoking

Post Greetings

I joined the Cartographer's guild to learn how to make the exquisite maps that I see others making. My father and I are both D&D enthusiast, and we spend hours upon hours drawing out our maps. I would love to be able to create them using photoshop, CC3, or some other program, but I need advice on where to start.

Guild Expert Guild Supporter Abu Lafia's Avatar

Welcome to the Guild mikoking! A good starting point will be the Quickstart Guide to Fantasy Mapping at the Tutorial section. There you can find many helpful Tutorials to start your journey...

Welcome to the Guild mikoking.
    Abu gave you some good links to check out.
    You can also ask any questions and someone will have advice to help you.
    Maybe if you point out some examples of maps you like, ones that you would like to try to emulate, that would help to be able to make suggestions of where to start.

mikoking

Well the small city map that you got a CC award is one style I want to be able to emulate. I want to be able to build an entire fantasy world like that of Fearun, from the continent views to the city maps, to artistic renderings, such as the one that you did, down to even the cities sewers. The project I am starting is something that my father and I dabbled at for some time, but never devoted ourselves to. He developed PDMS, which means he can no longer help draw the maps due to vision problems, so I am wanting to be able to complete this world that we both envisioned when I was a little kid and have him help me flesh out the history via D&D campaigns. I then plan on turning the campaign stories into books dedicated to him so that even after he is gone, there will be part of him that will be here still to share with the world. I have a few folders full of regional history for different areas as well as a few rough sketches of how I want certain things to look. I will see about uploading some of my rough drawings (mind you they are ROUGH) so I can get some skillful insight from those that are more skilled than I.

That's a lot that you want to do, but it's all possible.
    Best thing I can say is to pick one of your maps that you'd like to start with and go from there.
    Once you choose and upload a map you want to work on, we can can all help with advice on how to do certain things.
    Just start a new thread with a map you want to work on.

mikoking

Thanks for the advice