Views:	115 
Size:	2.85 MB 
ID:	73701

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ellonby with PP3.jpg 
Views:	214 
Size:	3.12 MB 
ID:	73702

"Ellonby is a high class, aristocratic town with expensive venues, rich residents and even richer visitors. It is a town with a large transient population based around a yearly 'Season of the Arts' which culminates in a widely renowned production at the town's central playhouse The Ambassador's Theatre. Tickets there are extraordinarily expensive and often change hands for extortionate fees. The town leads the way in many of the other arts: opera, poetry, painting, music and the like - performances and products of which also sell for large sums of money. For those not into the arts, but still seeking to spend money, the town offers periodic gladiatorial contests, equestrian competitions and even a lesser famed "Drinking and Arm-Wrestling" event.

With the influx in affluent visitors also comes an influx of up-and-coming artistic wannabes and of cheap labour, many of whom resort to camping in the South West of the town due to being out priced from the town itself. Many a young artist and actor has travelled to Ellonby seeking fame and fortune - not so many find it. Some visit Ellonby simply for the people they will find there - Lords, Ladies, Dukes, Dames - the veritable Who's Who of the continent's social elite. This is a place of expensive wine, luxurious settings, horse drawn carriages, servants, silver service and polite bows."

In real world references: Ellonby is the Monte Carlo, the Cannes, the Sundance and the Hollywood of this DnD world. I made this map for a Dungeons and Dragons campaign I am currently running with some friends. I gave them an assassination mission to target one of the most famous actors in the town of Ellonby, with specific instructions to kill him on the opening night of his latest theatre production. It was supposed to be a very short campaign but as with these things... it spiralled slightly out of control. I made three flavour of maps in the end as I wasn't sure which I liked best.

Thanks to MAX, JML_fr, Ilanthar, thegreentick, J.Edward, RedKettle and Chashio who gave me some great constructive feedback in the WIP (http://www.cartographersguild.com/sh...ad.php?t=30438)!

Any further feedback is welcomed - I can always make more changes and improve on it! I am red-green colour blind so any comments about colour issues would be very helpful!

Map was created entirely in Gimp. Mouse for the majority and a Wacom Tablet for a few little bits.
    Last edited by Formal Abu; 05-30-2015 at 03:40 PM.

Excellent map with some elegant solutions. I like the style, we don't see that kind often. Colors are fine to me, and my preference goes to the third version.

I also prefer the third one as the first is quite light, the second a bit dark and very strong with the red, while the third one has some texture for the red buildings and is more balanced concerning shadows.
    I love the style of the houses and areas of buildings. It looks very neat and clean.

How did you create the map and what tools/software did you use? I'm stunned how neat and clean the street and house lines are. I suppose that they are not freehand?

I can't decide whether I prefer the second or third version. I usually like grungy maps, but I think the 'cleaner' second version works better with the crisp lines of the map. Either way, great job! Have some rep.
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

You did a great job here F.Abu. I like 1 and 3.
    1 due to its clean look, 3 the bit of grunge and saturation.
    I think 3 wins out in the end though.

Community Leader Guild Sponsor - Max -'s Avatar

Great map Formal Abu, very nice looking city!

Thanks all - really pleased you like it.

Eld - it was created entirely in Gimp. The WIP thread shows it pretty much from start to finish!

I've got just one more technical question:
    What pixel scale did you use for the map? I see the scale on the map yet I don't know the size of the map in pixels.
    So what's the yard-pixel-relatio on this map? I'd be happy to know this as I try to figure out that scale for my own city maps and so I'd like to compare with great maps.

Quote Originally Posted by Eld View Post
    What pixel scale did you use for the map? I see the scale on the map yet I don't know the size of the map in pixels.
    I didn't - it's not that accurate a map. In my group we focus more on the role play aspect of the DnD rather than the square by square stuff.

I drew what felt right and then worked out the scale based on the main theatre. The map is (1080x1920)x2 in size. Hope that helps!

Very nice work on this one Abu!

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh