Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Shire (Middle Earth)-fantasy map

Community Leader Guild Sponsor - Max -'s Avatar

Default The Shire (Middle Earth)-fantasy map

Hey everyone,

You probably noticed a friendly challenge started lately to make maps of Tolkien's Middle Earth. Here's my contribution with a map of The Shire and surrounding Lands, I had the feeling we lack some color map of the Hobbits Lands

You can follow a bit of the process in the WIP thread here. Thanks to people for feedbacks and advices there!

As usual, feel free to rate, rep or run away

© M.PLASSE 2015 - All rights reserved.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	The Shire.jpg 
Views:	495 
Size:	2.40 MB 
ID:	73769
    Last edited by - Max -; 05-31-2015 at 10:28 AM.

It looks great Max.
    I'm glad you made the suggestion for the friendly challenge.
    I think it was a good worthwhile venture.

As a lifelong Tolkien fan, I have to say this is one of the loveliest maps I've ever seen of the Shire. I don't know how you do it, but the color palette has a lazy, peaceful, summer's-day feel to it, maybe with a touch of harvest bounty, all very cozy and comfortable. This is a map of a place I'd love to ramble through.

In fact, I would say the quality here outmatches the official colored maps of Middle-Earth, or at least my recollection of them. Those are consciously grandiose, while this map is perfectly matched to the tone of its subject.

My only editorial comments are very minor: you have "Witywindle" for the River Withywindle, and "Towers Hills" for the Emyn Beraid, which Tolkien gives as Tower Hills. Otherwise, very nicely done indeed.

Sanderling said it all in the comment above. The map is beautiful. I'm sad because I can't rep, because if anything deserves it, this does.

I think I might use this for my desktop wallpaper at work cos I want to stare at it some more.
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

One more very minor editorial comment: in the title box, it should be "Four Farthings" above the scale of miles and leagues.

And ChickPea's not the only one considering this for a wallpaper. In fact, I'd love to have a poster-sized version to hang on my actual wall, although I don't know if that's feasible. But it's a map where you can just wander and happily lose yourself, like the Shire itself.

I can't stop staring. I love almost all of your maps, but this might be my favorite. It makes me want to go to there more than anything has since I saw the first film.

Fantastic map Max!! Great details!

Great map Max! As others said, the colors are very well chosen and I particularly love your forests and swamps on this one. Sadly, the rep button is still not cooperative.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast