Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pasting in Photoshop

NymTevlyn

Post Pasting in Photoshop

Ok, I have a tree I want to be able to paste to create my forests, but I want them to paste into the same layer instead of creating a new layer each time I paste. I tried making it into a brush, but it doesn't work like I need it to.

What about merging (Control-E) the new tree layer with the old one? That's what I do. And if you have multiple layers that are all linked, then merging them will collapse them all into one single layer (instead of merging them one at a time).
    Last edited by Turgenev; 10-03-2008 at 04:29 PM. Reason: expanded my answer
    Cheers,
    Tim

Paratime Design Cartography

"Do infants have as much fun in infancy as adults do in adultery?" - Groucho Marx

NymTevlyn

Yeah, I found that shortcut, but it's still an extra step I was hoping to avoid.

Select the tree (assuming it's on it's own layer) , using the move tool (v), hold down the alt key and make as many copies as you want (you'll have to release the alt key when you want to drop a copy).

NymTevlyn

Quote Originally Posted by Carnildo View Post
    Select the tree (assuming it's on it's own layer) , using the move tool (v), hold down the alt key and make as many copies as you want (you'll have to release the alt key when you want to drop a copy).
    That makes a copy of the layer. Ideally, what I would like is to select the Forest layer after copying the pixels that make up the tree and being able to CTRL + V where I want trees, without it making new layers.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Badger's Avatar

About the closest thing I found is Shift+CTR+V which is copy into.... but you have to select the whole layer everytime you want to copy something into it... it deselects after pasting...

Try setting up an action for it and assigning a hot key ...
    action Select all
    Action Copy Into...
    then all you have to do is have the move too handy to move the trees where you want and hit the hotkey you assigned it to to paste another one

**Nevermind... I just tried it... it does copy into another layer....

Have you tried searching adobe's site for any answers?... you might find something there, I didn't...

Why wouldn't you want seperate layers anyways? Layers are your friend.....

Alternatively ... after you are done placing all the forest you want.... you can hide all the other layers, then Shift+ctr+E to merge visible.... that at least makes the one extra step at the end so you don't have to keep merging....
    Last edited by Badger; 10-03-2008 at 11:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by delgondahntelius View Post
    Alternatively ... after you are done placing all the forest you want.... you can hide all the other layers, then Shift+ctr+E to merge visible.... that at least makes the one extra step at the end so you don't have to keep merging....
    Or alternatively, click on the little link box (next to the visibility eye) on the layers you want to merge. This not only allows you to move the many images as one unit but it also allows you to merge all those layers at once (instead of doing each layer one at a time or turning off visibility on layers to do a merge visible). I wouldn't know what to do without layers. They are a godsend.
    Cheers,
    Tim

Paratime Design Cartography

"Do infants have as much fun in infancy as adults do in adultery?" - Groucho Marx

NymTevlyn

Quote Originally Posted by delgondahntelius View Post
    Why wouldn't you want seperate layers anyways? Layers are your friend.....
    Because I don't need layers while making a forest out of map symbols. They're all going to be on the same layer anyways.

I have tons of layers for everything. In the end, I have just used the alt + drag and drop method and then ctrl E until all that tree layers are merged. Linking prevents alt + drag drop and would take longer than mashing ctrl E.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Badger's Avatar

Well I've looked up and down the web and adobe forums... I don't think there is a way to copy and paste into the same layer...

NymTevlyn

I tried the help file, but no luck. Move Tool and ALT + Drag 'n Drop is the quickest. I just have to be careful not to merge the wrong layers when I get down to the bottom of the tree copies.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast