Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: (WIP) Attempting to use an 18th century atlas map as a style model

Here is the current state... I've had very little time for this, so changes are few.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WIP_HistoricalKane_v7.jpg 
Views:	135 
Size:	1.17 MB 
ID:	74841

Still, labeling is going - all cities/towns are named (I think), rivers are next. I also managed to "shamelessly steal" a picture from an old map (this one), which fits perfectly (I think...).

And, I had a go at Freodin's technique. You can see the result at the inner gulf (Gulf of the West), in northeast Kane. I wonder what you guys think, as I'm not sure at all.

Finally, as for the issue on using dots for a border, Jayharchitect, I hear you. It does look a bit like a path, but I tink the context overpowers that impression. So, for now, I think it stays.

That's looking good Pixie!

Professional Artist Guild Donor Sapiento's Avatar

Looks great! Which font do you use?

Font choice is discussed in the first page of this thread. It's worth reading, Sapiento. The short answer is IM Fell Great Primer.

Same advice as Max : horizontal town names would give a better looking to the map.
    Also, there is a letter missing in "Land of the North preiously ruled by..."

But it sure is a great map anyway, congrats.

Thank you all for the comments and the views (been away on holidays, hence the late reply)...

Disrespect for modern rules of labelling is a choice of mine (for instance, all port cities have their names inland, whereas a modern map - or a map made by a more seafaring culture - would write them over the sea). The intention is to "craft" a particular style, merging rennaissance and late medieval. This is in order to fit with the historical period, for Kane.

A pair of grammar/spelling mistakes are also on purpose, and I will keep them. In a way it's good that people are noticing it because that's what they are there for, but on the other side I'll admit it hurts my ego everytime someone points it out I was always a too-proud-know-it-all A-student in spelling and maths when I was in primary.

All in all, this map is finished , so I'm wrapping this one up with a link for the "Finished Maps" section.

Many thanks to all who helped in any way:
    - GreatWhiteNorth with the link to the awesome font used in the map.
    - Freodin with his attempt to help with the coastal hatching (too difficult for my abilities, in the end I just ditched - apologies for the unfruitfulness of your effort)
    - ravells with his reminder about the great resource on labeling and the extra source of inspiration with this India map
    - everyone else for the encouragement and friendly advice!!
    Last edited by Pixie; 08-17-2015 at 12:51 PM.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234