Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Derelict Space Hulk

Default Derelict Space Hulk

So for my next personal project map, I am working on a large derelict space hulk - some kind of gargantuan starship. Although it could be used as an active ship, or even a space station. I'm desiging this for use with Roll20 and similar virtual tabletop applications. The ideal format for Roll20 maps is 72 x 72 inches at 100 ppi, at encounter scale, so this map is 360 feet x 360 feet. This is just a part of the deck, perhaps a third, perhaps smaller. I using my photo realistic style, using Xara Photo & Graphic Designer 9 (a vector application) to design everything, except for a few 3D objects as I need them (currently the cargo tug vessels are the only 3D objects in this map). I plan to create at least 5 decks in total.

This is a work-in-progress...

GP

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	space-hulk-draft-2.jpg 
Views:	893 
Size:	1.65 MB 
ID:	73861
    Last edited by Gamerprinter; 06-04-2015 at 04:43 PM.
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Meshon's Avatar

Awesome as always. A derelict ship is a superb idea.

Thanks, Meshon!

I think a derelict, giant ship can equate "dungeon" in a sci-fi setting.

I'm already planning on creating five of these same sized sections for the receiving/warehouse deck, though the next one will used twice to encompass the entended area - so I only need to create 4 sections to do all five sections of this deck. On the next deck above this which will be the engineering deck I'm planning on perhaps 6 sections with 4 sections flanking either side to encompass a larger deck area than this one. With 4 to 5 decks planned total, this will be a fairly substantial derelict.

I still need to furnish this section, but I did place dining tables in the commissary, to give you a sense of scale.

GP

Name:	space-hulk-draft-3.jpg 
Views:	550 
Size:	1.26 MB 
ID:	73864
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Guild Expert Guild Supporter Abu Lafia's Avatar

I really like the idea of the project GP. Great job!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gamerprinter View Post
    I think a derelict, giant ship can equate "dungeon" in a sci-fi setting.
    Totally! Genestealers lurking in ventilation ducts, oxygen running low and sweet, sweet madness creeping in... i'm loving these kind of "dungeons"!

Quote Originally Posted by Gamerprinter View Post
    I still need to furnish this section, but I did place dining tables in the commissary, to give you a sense of scale.
    This is huge. Looking forward to see how it develops.

Thanks, Abu!

Finished the second rear portion of the Receiving/Warehouse deck. One nice aspect is I don't have to label the chambers, I can just place painted floor signage to do that for me and actually belong. Elsewhere on the upper decks, I plan to place backlit floor signage instead of painted. Now on to the next section. It looks like I will on complete this deck this weekend, maybe I'll start the next deck before its over.

GP

Name:	space-hulk-draft-4.jpg 
Views:	211 
Size:	1.44 MB 
ID:	73878
    DrivethruRPG store

I got the next section done quickly, as it was a big open room for stacked cargo containers moved around with cargo movers. As I previously stated, you should use 2 or 3 of this tile (as many as you need) for a large cargo container storage system. Tomorrow I'll work on the far end of this deck. I used Singapore sea port as inspiration.

GP

Name:	space-hulk-draft-5.jpg 
Views:	216 
Size:	1.53 MB 
ID:	73881
    DrivethruRPG store

Completed the last section of the Receiving/Cargo deck, now on to Engineering!

GP

Name:	space-hulk-draft-6.jpg 
Views:	147 
Size:	1.09 MB 
ID:	73899
    DrivethruRPG store

Significantly reduced in size so you can see all the entire receiving/cargo deck tiles, with a doubling of the third deck, to show the entire deck - here ya go! The full scale version measures 72 x 1300 inches at 100 ppi.

GP

Name:	cargo-deck-cg.jpg 
Views:	326 
Size:	657.3 KB 
ID:	73901
    DrivethruRPG store

Cool idea! It reminds me some gaming afternoons (quite a long time ago...). Very pleasant map. It's a lot less "claustrophobic" and sinous corridors than the board game (and a lot more realistic btw).

Thanks, Illanthar!

Interestingly, I just got contacted by the line developer for Fading Suns & Noble Armada at FASA Games who is looking to commission me for 20 ship deck plans. I say interestingly, because I'm kind of doing that kind thing now, with the map in this thread, but the line developer had no idea I was doing this - it was just a coincidence. Earlier this year, I created a multi-deck plan airship for FASA Games 1879 game, so when the line developer contacted the publisher, he referred him to me, since I've done ship deck plans for FASA Games already. Its just weird, whenever I'm doing a map of something I don't normally do (I mostly do fantasy maps), that a map commission comes along looking for the same thing...
    DrivethruRPG store

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast