Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: October Entry: New meets old

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Blog Entries

Post October Entry: New meets old

Zliebauk 4 is a small planet in the binary Beukettan system. It's original inhabitants have long since died and the remains of their outpost still remain though it has become weathered and meteor struck over the millennial. Originally created by a class 6 systems transporter the roads were blasted away from the surface using a high intensity particle beam leaving the crust to be excavated for building use.

A tip off has led you to believe that stone carvings which might hold the key to translating the as yes indecipherable text are to be found deep within. A surface team has been assembled and shuttled down to the surface of the planet for a reccy.

### Latest WIP ###
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Final1.jpg 
Views:	144 
Size:	948.2 KB 
ID:	6827  
    Last edited by Redrobes; 10-19-2008 at 04:24 PM.

Interesting.

I like the pyramid in the lower right.

Sigurd

Community Leader Facebook Connected Badger's Avatar

oh .. that is nice! ... love the coloring and texturing of the rock! ... excellent!

Agreed, I love the texturing. The spaceship also looks good, did you make it yourself and in what software? (that question is not meant as an insult or something, I am just wondering - always looking for good symbols ).
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Very cool RR!
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Blog Entries

The textures are from cgtextures.com as usual. Theres two from the 'ground' and two 'sand' ones in there. The ship was made in light-wave and I sketched a few designs but I went with a shape which was immediately recognizable as a ship rather than alien type. Your welcome to snaffle it as a game icon.

Blog Entries

Hope you have all been following my Blender blog so I will attach the final piccy that I did there.

I really like the idea behind this one.

I feel that the spaceship is maybe a little too clean to have just landed on a planet. I think it might need some either weathering or dirtying of some kind. As it is It seems a bit "plasticky" in its look compare to the wonderful texture of the ruins.
    Something witty and pithy

I like how you've made your landscape. I agree the ship needs to appear more "used". Great work.

Blog Entries

Hmm second comment about the need for dirt... maybe I will have to then. Its just that I was envisioning a kind of star trek ship with full on replicators and particle beams so that all the parts would be pristine with the only dirt being that kicked up from the landing. Super shiny and new. Then the landscape is real old - like millions of years of lost civilization. Old enough to be pock marked with asteroid and meteor hits etc.

The landscape was made in plasticene and moulded with the back of a paintbrush so I just went mad and dimpled it. I scanned it with my toy just to see how it went and rendered it. I also took a photo of the model straight down and used that as a texture source too. But most of the texture is several types of dirt and sand from cgtextures pushed through a texture generator app I have then that was put back into the 3D app and rendered for a final pass with the ship.
    Last edited by Redrobes; 10-19-2008 at 08:25 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast