Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The Red Epic update, maps for DGS and others...

Professional Artist Facebook Connected TheRedEpic's Avatar

Thanks everyone for the comments on my work, will be posting another map soon, depending on my workload, keep the comments coming

~jared

These are fantastic maps. I like how the colors you used complement each other. I also particularly like the parchment background the map is on and all the detail you put into it.

The maps are just overall great. I cant wait to see more.

Quote Originally Posted by sivilark View Post
    I love your style.

In fact I'm a bit more of a fan of these types of maps then that of the more "artsy" ones.

I'd love to learn how to make similar maps.
    Actually, I think these maps are quite artsy. Why do I say this? Well, TheRedEpic's maps are awesome and very much like the style I would like to develop for myself. I'm still struggling with the whole "it looks like it was painted" aspect. So, knowing what I have to do to get maps that look half as good, I'd imagine that a large amount of time and effort has gone into developing the style as it stands now.

I agree with everyone's love of the color scheme. A good color scheme makes or breaks a map.

As for the stylized parchment edges, I think they work quite well. If the map were going to be on a standalone piece of paper the edges wouldn't be so desireable. Usually though, maps like this tend to be used on pages with other stuff (like in published adventures and some video games). In those cases, stylized edges can really help to make the art pop. At least, that's my opinion.

Praise

Terrific! I love the random scrawling and graffiti. Thanks for the inspiration - I am definitely going to incorporate some of this style in future player hand out maps.
    Clarence Harrison
    Quindia Studios

I love these - the style is reminiscent of the old LotRs ones, but unique unto itself, with livlier coloring.

Very beautiful.

I think the edges work great if the look and feel as a whole is something you would want for lets say a very old map found in a treasure box. The burnt edges and blood splatter work great.

If you are looking for a map that simply communicates the context within the map then yes the edges would be a little distracting but this type of map is perfect for a rpg game like NwN2.

Manwae
    www.hiddentales.com

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123