Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bailiwan

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Map Bailiwan

Bailiwan regional map. Thanks to Steel General, Bohunk and the many others that helped in the WIP thread

Artist's Notes
    Bailiwan, the once peaceful land of the Thalean Empire has been overrun by the savage Orc hordes that welled up from the Underdark with amazing cohesion and with new technology, matchlocks. The human inhabitants of Bailiwan that were not eaten, forced into slavery or sacrificed for the pleasure of the sadistic invaders have been pushed from their homes to the frontier of the Harren Islands. The new world is filled with its own perils but the former citizens have prospered over the decades. Establishing trade, setting up independent governments and building grand castles, universities and temples as they once had are only a few of their accomplishments as they also have turned into a vengeful race eager to quench their thirst for blood. War is on the horizon as they are now equipped with their own marvels and seek to take back what is theirs.

OOC: Picture cannibalistic Vikings with muskets played by the Orcs against Athenians wielding Da Vinci technology played by man. Dwarves, Halflings and Elves are woven in the societies of man and have a vested interest in seeing the end to the horde domination of Bailiwan. Orcs are amazingly cooperative as they define territories of control and have their own trade. They are the traders of men and other demi humans. They also farm flesh and raise humans like crops to eat, work and ravage.

This map was commissioned by the city state of Larano 147 years after the dissolution of the Thalean Empire (147 FE is roughly equivalent to 1450 AD).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bailiwan_Final.jpg 
Views:	603 
Size:	4.62 MB 
ID:	6830  
    Last edited by robb75067; 10-04-2008 at 10:55 AM.
    The road to success is always under construction.

Professional Artist Facebook Connected TheRedEpic's Avatar

Excellent map, solid and very clear. Love the heraldry of the Free cities, exquisite. What did you use to execute the finish if you don't mind me asking?

A fantastic map. Love the heraldry, the continents with their vegetation and mountains (as I said before). The font. There's nothing I don't like. Except maybe I am wondering how this would have looked in color

So what's up with the "Horde lands"? What goes on in there?
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Most excellent, congrats on a map well done!
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Quote Originally Posted by Gandwarf View Post
    A fantastic map. Love the heraldry, the continents with their vegetation and mountains (as I said before). The font. There's nothing I don't like. Except maybe I am wondering how this would have looked in color

So what's up with the "Horde lands"? What goes on in there?
    This is my second map since joining the community. I'm going to try an urban and then attempt to learn color. The Hordelands is for the RPG aspect. The area was controlled by the Thalean Empire but was defeated and over run by orcs. The different Hordelands are the major tribal divisions that dominate the area now.

Quote Originally Posted by TheRedEpic View Post
    Excellent map, solid and very clear. Love the heraldry of the Free cities, exquisite. What did you use to execute the finish if you don't mind me asking?
    The finish was simple. I rendered clouds using 2 almost identical shades of light tan (slightly grey on one) and then rendered fibers. I played with the sliders on the preview until it gave me what I was looking for. Always glad to help let me know if you'd like to know anything else.

Quote Originally Posted by Steel General View Post
    Most excellent, congrats on a map well done!
    Thanks for all the feedback during the process. I could say some other nice things but I figure you guys don't want to turn the forums into a chic flick .

updated OP with Artist Notes

Community Leader Facebook Connected Badger's Avatar

Sweet map Robb.... excellent color and mood....

I also really like the colour and mood.

It feels right. I like the extra windows around the main map. A lot of cartographers saw empty ocean as wasted space.

classy.

Whats next ?

Sigurd

Quote Originally Posted by Sigurd View Post

Whats next ?

Sigurd
    I think I'm trying an urban area on the same size map. Probably using the same border that is on this map because it will be part of a set

Guild Novice

Awesome map! Please see http://www.cartographersguild.com/sh...5384#post95384 if you'd like to do another similar to it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast