Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Unamed World Map - Hoping for an at least somewhat plausible, earth-like planet.

We can't see it because it's transparent. To avoid this you should duplicate the rain layers and fusion the copied version together.

I duplicated and combined the rainfall layers and got this.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rainfall Map 2.png 
Views:	94 
Size:	290.4 KB 
ID:	74453

I find this a very interesting thread! I'm trying to do something similar; creating a coherent and (somewhat) realistic world. I haven't gotten to currents or wind patterns just yet as I'm still trying to figure out the tectonic movements and moutain ranges.

Where did you find all your guides? And is the programs you're using easy to learn? I just got Fractal Terrain, but it seems to be quite complicated to create a whole new world from it, but the up side is that it'll calculate rainfall and temperature for you

For the most part I've been using this for reference. http://www.cartographersguild.com/sh...ad.php?t=27118

As for the programs, I'm using just using Photoshop to make the map. To switch to different projections I'm using gprojector, which can be found here. http://www.giss.nasa.gov/tools/gprojector/

Photoshop isn't too hard to figure out the basics of, but it has plenty of features I don't know much how to use. While gprojector is extremely easy to use. The hard part to all this mostly the mapping work itself rather than the programs.

Colorwise, it's a little different from what I get, but it looks "in working order". One specific change I would make, though is at the polar fronts. Make them wider, and particularily wider on the western side of the continents, shrinking as you go east inland. The rest seems fine.

Wow, that's quite a comprehensive guide! Sadly, it kinda overwhelming to me Reading, then understanding, all of that will take quite an effort

Yeah, I know PS, but isn't Illustrator a better program for these kind of things? Do you have some kind of tablet and pen, or do you draw with the mouse?

Quote Originally Posted by A Blood Red Fox View Post
    I duplicated and combined the rainfall layers and got this.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rainfall Map 2.png 
Views:	94 
Size:	290.4 KB 
ID:	74453
    More like this: http://www.cartographersguild.com/at...5&d=1400456673

Quote Originally Posted by Pixie View Post
    Colorwise, it's a little different from what I get, but it looks "in working order". One specific change I would make, though is at the polar fronts. Make them wider, and particularily wider on the western side of the continents, shrinking as you go east inland. The rest seems fine.
    It's stronger near the coasts (east and west) and gets weaker as you move inland. And it shrinks faster if it's hot.

Hot = more evaporation, needs more rain
    Farther inland = less water available in the air because some of it has already fallen.

I'm not much help at this stage, but I'm just sitting here with my popcorn, enjoying the journey. You are doing a good job Fox. Second point, the links that Pixie gave are awesome.

Yes, something is up with your rain model. A few areas that clearly should be west-coast deserts have high rainfall. Did you do the entire rain tutorial in pixie's method? I ask because your map only seems to have three levels of precipitation, and IIRC pixie's has up to six?

Also, if you're Python savvy, maybe look up a program called WorldSynth. (I've been discussing it on another thread quite a bit in the guise of an update called WorldEngine.) I'm not sure what sort of input it takes, but it figures out precipitation, temperatures, and Holdridge life zones for you. It got abandoned in alpha in favor of WorldEngine, though, so you have to be willing to poke at it quite a bit to get it to work.

But, frankly, doing this yourself leads to a much better understanding of what's going on. I went through it, in my Venus project. Fascinating stuff. But labor-intensive.
    Last edited by acrosome; 07-07-2015 at 10:09 AM.

Well, I'm really not sure what I did wrong. I think I'm going to have to do the rainfall stuff over again from scratch. I tried doing the rainfall from Pixie's method as close as I could, but something went wrong and I've no idea what.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast