Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Narthaine

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Map Narthaine

This map was designed from the start to be an exercise in replicating the old maps I used to see in elementary school but with my own personal satellite style. So, for this map I knew exactly what I wanted the final image to look like so the process of creation was over and now it was time to get out the hammer and nails and start building in Photoshop.

The first thing I did was to try to think differently. So with that in mind I went ahead and made my map the way I always do (so much for thinking differently, eh?) but instead changed the color of the ocean and put a layer of soft white onto the land. At this point my land looked good but the water was too bright and I wanted something more grayed-out so I added a medium gray layer at 50% opacity and viola, it was easy. I then added some darker gray as shading around the edges of the map to darken them up a bit and added one more layer of soft white to the whole image. To this point the whole process had taken me about an hour.

Now came the detail work that, I think, really gives anything a bit of charm and style but takes a long time to do. I put in a grid for latitude and longitude and because I love those old compass lines I put some of those in as well. Next I put in the rivers which are basically lightning bolts (I have a thing for lightning bolts). Next I put some lakes on top with a really easy Photoshop trick (use a 100-pixel pencil and under brush dynamics give it a cloud texture). For the cities I wanted something that looked like it was from some kind of fantasy painting so I got some pics off of the interwebs and applied some artsy filters. Roads came next and where they intersect I put down smaller icons for towns and villages and other stuff. Labeling things can always be a chore but I just make stuff up and then make it sound like some particular foreign language, for this map I went with French. Finally, the finish graphics…this part is always the hardest for me since I never really studied graphic design; I drew superheroes, cartoons, and cars. The most important part of any work of art is knowing when to stop. I love detailing things and putting in things that others might never notice but if they do I feel as if I have given them a small present. After cutting down on the number the fonts used I was ready to call this one done…1 hour of fun playing in the sandbox and 15 hours of hammering and sawing. I hope you all like it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Narthaine--TheAscension.jpg 
Views:	2971 
Size:	2.93 MB 
ID:	6846  
    Last edited by RobA; 04-11-2013 at 11:56 AM.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

I like it. Very Evocative!
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Professional Artist Guild Supporter Schley's Avatar

Nice work!

I like the little town and city vignettes.

Guild Artisan Facebook Connected

I think I commented before how much I like this... but I will say so again.

Plus... it looks like you made Featured Map!
    I think, therefore I am a nerd.
    Cogito, ergo sum nerdem.

Check out my blog: "The Undiscovered Author"
    It's the story of a writer... follow me in my simple quest to get published, and share your own writing stories, adventures and writerly tips.

Pimping my worldmap here. Still WIP... long way to go, but I'm pretty proud of what I've done so far...

There is a whole bunch of niceness in this map. Congrats on achieving it and getting a feature from it. Well played indeed
    Something witty and pithy

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

That's a lovely map - and quite a change from your normal style. Good work.

My one comment would be that the borders seem a little pixelated. They could do with a touch of blurring to help blend them into the map. Repped (of course for something so pretty!)

Community Leader Facebook Connected delgondahntelius's Avatar

Congrats Ascension!!

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Thank you very very much guys! It's kinda weird how experimenting with something new can really work out for the best. I was in no way shooting for a new badge but lo and behold...very humbling in that now I have to raise the bar again. So I'm working on something totally different in order to be more versatile. Again, thank you all very much for the pointers and praise along the journey.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Guild Novice

Outstanding!

I really like the soft colors of this map. It just flows. well done!
    Our sense of the stability of the earth is an illusion due to the shortness of our lives.
    - Neil deGrasse Tyson

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast