Thread: June 2015 Entry : Harbour on Rusted Metal

Wip June 2015 Entry : Harbour on Rusted Metal

Hello Everyone,

I've made a start on this months mapping challenge!

I found an old piece of rusted metal in the garage and thought it might make an interesting canvas. Having walked along the coastline at Portsmouth last weekend I thought it would be quite interesting to try and capture the battle coastal towns face against the corroding effects of the sea, so what better than an old rusty piece of metal! I've managed to come up with a couple of techniques to remove the rust, using a scalpel to scratch it away, or Kitchen roll dipped in onion to scrub it off!!! At the moment it's not very detailed or well finished, but hopefully I can come up with a good way of getting more detail in.

This is a fantasy port rather than a real one. I thought it would be better to be able to adapt it as I go depending how the technique works out. The scale of the map has ended up being quite large as I wanted the shapes of the "coastline" to be prominent.

### Latest WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20150614_194428.jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	969.4 KB 
ID:	74053

Very original idea you have here! You certainly catch the spirit of this month challenge with that one

If only you had access to a sandblaster. I like how it looks so far, should be cool. If you want to add rust or change the density/colour of the rust, vinegar does pretty well. You can also scratch up the surface and re-rust it for different effects too.

Wow, this is a fantastic idea! 10/10 for originality! Looking forward to seeing what you do next. I hope you'll post lots of updates.
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected JefBT's Avatar

Oh yeah, that's a unique canvas. This is going to be crazy! Cool!

What a fantastic concept Wolram! It already looks very promising. I'm looking forward how this will develop.

Well I've made a total mess of this one! Can't really submit anything further, I've just not been able to find a good way of getting detail into it. And it keeps rusting over everything I've done!

Fun experiment though!

Sorry to hear that, it was a great concept, I'm sure without a time constraint you may come across something in the future, I really liked it.