• The Racetrack by Krieghund

2 8.70%
  • Training at the River Bend by RedKettle

1 4.35%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: May / June 2015 Lite Challenge: Map an Ambush. VOTING

Default May / June 2015 Lite Challenge: Map an Ambush. VOTING

Hey everyone. We had a bunch of wonderful entries in this challenge. A huge THANK-YOU to everyone who entered.

The challenge was to Map an Ambush.

Thumbnails of the latest entries can be found here: http://www.cartographersguild.com/ch....php?type=lite

Please check out everyone's entries at full size before voting.

The voting will run for 3 days and then a Silver Compass will be awarded to the winner.

Also please "REP" everyone you feel deserve it whether you voted for them or not.
    Last edited by Bogie; 06-15-2015 at 02:00 AM.

Some really nice entries this month. My vote went to Chick and ChickPea. Each of their respective maps were well thought out and presented. Great job guys and gals!

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by ravells View Post
    Chickpea for me! I loved chick's map too but it was too textual for my taste.
    Thank you for the comment, and I'm sorry you didn't like the amount of text, but unlike LoTR, I felt this story was not well enough known to simply post a map without a full explanation of what was going on.

Without the day by day description, it would be hard to convey the brilliance of the double ambush where Arminius deliberately staged a first ambush to drive the Romans to the north side where the real killer ambush was set up.

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected JefBT's Avatar

I couldn't finish my map, but there will be more challenges to take part.

Nice challenge, and very nice maps. Congratulations everyone!

JefBT, sorry you didn't finish. That's happened to me too. You've got the right attitude though. There's always next month.
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected JefBT's Avatar

It's ok, ChickPea, thanks. I'll finish the map anyway, just to train more, and it doesn't matter if I could not finish it in time. I've learned a lot from this challenge, from every map and every comment, and that counts a lot!

Yup, learning some new skills or trying some new ideas out is really the best thing you can get from a challenge. That counts more in the long run than whether you finished or not.
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by ChickPea View Post
    Yup, learning some new skills or trying some new ideas out is really the best thing you can get from a challenge.
    I agree 100% with this. I think just rehashing an old map you've done before is a waste of challenge time.

I started this challenge by an internet search for "famous ambush", and when the first one that popped up was "The ambush that changed history" and I read a few words, I knew I had to do that one So first I had a lot of fun doing the research and learning about it, and then making the map itself let me try something I had not done before (top down). So overall it was a great project for me in particular, since I never miss a chance to learn something new and this one had multiple ways to do that .

Quote Originally Posted by ChickPea View Post
    That counts more in the long run than whether you finished or not.
    Maybe more, but IMHO if a map is not finished, it should not qualify for the challenge. It's very unfair to the people who took the time and effort to finish theirs.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast