Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Well met

Post Well met

I'm going by roving jack these days and I'm a arts and crafts nut who is on a creative binge to beat the band. If you don't know it the name comes from an Irish folk song about a man who wanders ireland. The song tells of all the places he's been and all the trades he's practiced there. For '...if you wish to know my name, they call me jack of all trades.'

I'm a bit of a writer (not published yet but since i did 31 short stories in 31 days for charity in august I've got material that once editted should change that) and particularly love world building. I seem to remeber last year somebody pointed this place out to me, but I was distracted by poor health and a great man other creative projects.

Recently I made a map for one of my settings and it occured to me that I might be able to do more then that. So I've offered some help to Fellow NaNoWriMo ers to create maps for them. And have found that I aint half bad. I've been encouraged by some people at conventions and online to take it further and have decided that I might like to offer myself for commissions.

My offerings are a bit unusual in that I can create the files for you, but I use brushes and water colors and specialty paper to create something that for all intents and purposes is the real thing. I can mail the originals, I can age and weather them (I'm also looking at using things like egg tempura and iron based inks that I make myself, so the inks can be artificially aged too). I can create detailed back story for things in the world and shown on the maps and if interested do the maps in canlangs (constructed languages).

I'm still sort of new to it so it's taking me a bit of time to get the peices together. I have to check with my current clients before I display any of my current work but I'm quite proud of it. I prefer black and white and do mostly continental and world views but I recently did a full color adobe fantasy city for somebody that turned out better then I imagined I could do.

I'm looking to expand to deck plans and schematics too, and have a killer idea for planetary/ solarsystem mapping that I just have to get the time to get to.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Badger's Avatar

Greetings and welcome to the Guild, Jack. I look forward to seeing some of that work once you get permission. I myself am a long time lover of B&W (Pen and Ink) maps. Glad you stopped in to say Hi...

Post Welcome!

Welcome to the Guild!

Surely you have a map or two that wasn't commission work that you could post to show us your style. We can't know you until we see a map!

Again, welcome.

GP
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Blog Entries

You sound like you will get a great deal out of here and that we will have a great time seeing your work. Also, isnt there a proposal for a planetary system challenge coming up... you must have a go on that when it does.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Welcome Aboard!
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Welcome to the guild!
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

This one is pretty bad, I did it in about twenty mins on my bed with, if I remember correctly, a q-tip for a brush an old pat of water color and a cap from a water bottle with tap water in it; because my supplies were elsewhere. I had no intent or idea to start with and it was just a quick doodle, to see what sorts of things I might try with later maps. I still have trouble with trees and lakes but not this much trouble.

hopefully the post up works
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	one of my worst.JPG 
Views:	29 
Size:	38.7 KB 
ID:	6870  
    Last edited by Rovingjack; 10-05-2008 at 11:09 PM.

Post Q-tip, huh?

I guess that's better than what I could do with a Q-tip! Except maybe clean some earwax...

Edit your post, hit "Advanced Features", click the "Paperclip" in the upper tool bar, use the Attachment Menu to upload the file directly from your computer, noting the file size and type restrictions as per menu. Upload and resubmit. This way you can post a thumbnail that automatically enlarges when clicked on... OK?

GP
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

cool beans it worked, thanks man I have a feeling I'll be using that a bit more from now on.

I think If I can devote a wee bit of time to this I can do like I've done with my hand drawn mazes...

That is to say devote myself to at least one hour a day to work on one map and have a good portfolio by the end of the year.

I've got well over 260 hand drawn mazes of several differant styles now.

We'll see what the future holds.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Badger's Avatar

I have to agree with GP ... that is infinitely better than what I could have... or would have done with a q-tip. It's also better than any of my first maps were ... so I say ... give the man a brush and step back people! ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast