Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ilion: Globe and Associated Maps

Map

I think it's finished! Now onto phase two: local maps, or darkside maps. Whichever I get to first.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Five smaller.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	591.9 KB 
ID:	75153 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tectonic Plates lightside.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	579.7 KB 
ID:	75154

Name:	Landing Sites.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	582.1 KB 
ID:	75155 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Biomes.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	739.7 KB 
ID:	75156

I've begun the task of mapping one of the landing sites. This is very much a work in progress and I want to make sure everything makes sense before moving forward.

Name:	contours1.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	127.3 KB 
ID:	75220

Is the scale realistic?

The river graphics are placeholders and should be narrowed in the final version, especially the outflow that looks like it's a quarter km wide. Yikes. It's supposed to be a minor river, not the Amazon.

How long would it take to climb one of the two hills north of the river on foot?

Given the scale, would the middle section of river be considered a ravine or gully or something else?

Finally, is there a way to smooth the kinks in the contour lines using PS Elements? Whenever I try to do it by hand, I just end up making more kinks.

The scale is fine in my opinion. I probably would use more contour lines though (10 meters is more common I think).

By Malicious-Monkey
    How long would it take to climb one of the two hills north of the river on foot?
    That depends widely of who's climbing... But you could consider something like 40 minutes per 100 meters high for a quite good hiker.

Given the scale, would the middle section of river be considered a ravine or gully or something else?
    Hum, hard to tell. What about sketching a side view or slice to check it?

Map

Name:	Odyssey I landing site jpg.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	339.6 KB 
ID:	84062

Hey look I finished it...almost a year later
    Last edited by Malicious-Monkey; 05-30-2016 at 10:38 PM.

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Korash's Avatar

hey MM I like the way it turned out, but then I Am a sucker for a convoluted contoured topograghy. It really brings the ground to life imho. It might be a bit late but just read your questions and for the time, I would think about hour and a half or two to cover the klick and a half + elevation, modified by rough terrain...and I would call it a small gorge (30-40 meter rize over such a short distance) but am open to correction on that I figure a gully as shallower and a revine wider.
    Art Critic = Someone with the Eye of an Artist, Words of a Bard, and the Talent of a Rock.

Please take my critiques as someone who Wishes he had the Talent

Great, thanks! That was exactly the scale I was aiming for. I might make a second map of a differernt location, this one being an polar-like coast with (hopefully) lots of geologically interesting features and even more ice.

Name:	Odyssey II Landing Site.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	5.41 MB 
ID:	84270

Second landing site complete. It did not take a year this time. More like two nights, 50% of which was spent googling how to do things in photoshop.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12