View Poll Results: A portolan chart as a mapping challenge! Yay!

Voters
2. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

2 100.00%
  • No

0 0%

Thread: A portolan chart

Default A portolan chart

Well, I've been meaning to both suggest this as a chalenge and to try and draw one myself...

Portolan charts (wikipedia) were maps made for/by sailors, drawn with as much accuracy as possible, but sticking to coastlines. They were state-of-the-art technology by early rennaissance all around the mediterranean.

So, here's why I think this would be a good lite challenge:

- a portolan chart is a specific kind of map and entrants will practice real cartography (in the sense that it is a information-conveyor map, not in the sense that it needs to cover real coasts).

- the accuracy of the coastline is the most important feature of a portolan map, so the entrants will have to focus their attention on that key aspect of almost any map.

- labelling is tricky if you want to go into detail, so there's that.

- a portolan chart needs to have compass roses, meaningful ones, so the entrants will have to look into this subject)

- being a historical type, you kinda need to get/make a proper parchment texture (more key aspects to practice)

- the area inland is free for the artist-drive-mind to draw beautiful illustrations

- it seems to me that portolan charts of a rather small area are a great way to think about and develop the local history, politics and economics, if you're into the world-building / lore of the land scene.

So here are all the pros... If there are any cons, I can't think of them
    Last edited by Pixie; 06-17-2015 at 05:08 AM.