Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: WIP: Kobenhag, Capital of the Civilized Orc Empire

Since WINE doesn't seem to play well with Wilbur's 3D Preview(this is officially WINE's fault AFAIC), I decided to render the close in elevation model (more or less in scale) of Kobenhag's terrain in Bryce.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BryceRender.png 
Views:	39 
Size:	353.1 KB 
ID:	74389
    I've decided several things from this. My hills are way too tall and sheer, I need to push the mountainous spine more towards Hillside and… yeah, I'm thinking Bryce is outliving its usefulness for me.

The first problem is the worst. There are some nice shapes in those mountains, but the height looks ridiculous. The knife's edge thinness doesn't help at all. I'm not used to working in such large scale, for one thing. The second I can fix while I'm adjusting for the first problem. I'd really like the northwest shore to be striking and fairly narrow. This is an exclusive neighborhood after all. But not too narrow. Aristocratic villas need space for their club ball courts, fighting gymnasia, and other entertainments. Then there's Bryce: that's an issue I'll save to put off another day.

The terrain editing is getting time-consuming and more than a bit frustrating. The more I mess with this, the more I'm tempted to bag the elevations and try to draw a nice dramatic Cizunotchee-style b/w line map. I'd still like to see some cool 3d renders of Kobenhag, so… one more try!

Name:	cizunotchee.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	85.6 KB 
ID:	74390
    Cizunotchee-style

Some small progress. The scale looks better.

Name:	BryceRender2a.png 
Views:	40 
Size:	363.0 KB 
ID:	74484

Name:	Another_Kobenhag_ViewM.png 
Views:	47 
Size:	511.1 KB 
ID:	74485

I'm curious... Will you go with an iso view? A classic top view? A composite map with different ones? Still looking interesting anyway, no matter what peninsula you chose .

Soddy! Been down at DisneyLand the last ten days execrable wifi left me semi-incommunicado and long hours at the park too. Can't complain!

I'm not entirely sure what map style I'm gonna use. I'm still on the worldbuilding stage. This is what makes RW cartography so much easier…

I'm pretty sure I'm not going to do isometric. Not really a style I'm jiggy with. Like lookin' at it, but it's not a way I'm comfortable with doing it. Maybe satellite-view, definitely top-down. If I get ambitious, I may do an atlas with some street views. That last would require a lot of architectural modeling, and I'd have to do it in Blender. Not sure I'm up to that…

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12