Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Cormyr Map

Professional Artist Facebook Connected TheRedEpic's Avatar

Really well done, as always i may incorporate some of these elements into my work!. Is this all pencils and ink scanned and then photoshop color?

Post What do you do by hand?

I really like the way you balance detail and art.

The hills for example are very pretty at the same time they're very structured. You keep the feel of the work loose by making each hill different. You keep to a legend but you still make the whole thing feel very natural.

Do yo draw each hill with a tablet? If you feel inclined to tell, I'd love to hear about your creation process.

Thanks,

Welcome to the Boards by the way .

Sigurd

Guild Artisan Facebook Connected

That's a very nice looking map.

Is this a 4e setting?
    I think, therefore I am a nerd.
    Cogito, ergo sum nerdem.

Check out my blog: "The Undiscovered Author"
    It's the story of a writer... follow me in my simple quest to get published, and share your own writing stories, adventures and writerly tips.

Pimping my worldmap here. Still WIP... long way to go, but I'm pretty proud of what I've done so far...

Quote Originally Posted by Karro View Post
    That's a very nice looking map.

Is this a 4e setting?
    This is from the Forgotten Realms setting.
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Quote Originally Posted by jfrazierjr View Post
    This is from the Forgotten Realms setting.
    Hmm... Thought it looked a little too populated for a "points-of-light" concept. I never played in Forgotten Realms, oddly enough. Only ever forayed through homebrews.
    Cogito, ergo sum nerdem.

It's the story of a writer... follow me in my simple quest to get published, and share your own writing stories, adventures and writerly tips.

Pimping my worldmap here. Still WIP... long way to go, but I'm pretty proud of what I've done so far...

Quote Originally Posted by Karro View Post
    Hmm... Thought it looked a little too populated for a "points-of-light" concept.
    Not really. If you look at the scale, many of these places are several days ride from each other. Also note, that the area directly around the Kings Forest and south to the lakes edge are part of a 1400 year old kingdom, so that is for the most part very civilized and somewhat tamed.

The rest of the lands if you notice will have sometimes have over 100 miles between towns especially west and north of the StormHorn Mountains and south of the Dragonmere and they are fairly raw lands with plenty of room for marauding bands of x.
    My Finished Maps
    My Tutorials:
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Quote Originally Posted by jfrazierjr View Post
    Not really. If you look at the scale, many of these places are several days ride from each other. Also note, that the area directly around the Kings Forest and south to the lakes edge are part of a 1400 year old kingdom, so that is for the most part very civilized and somewhat tamed.

The rest of the lands if you notice will have sometimes have over 100 miles between towns especially west and north of the StormHorn Mountains and south of the Dragonmere and they are fairly raw lands with plenty of room for marauding bands of x.
    Ah yes... scale is everything, isn't it! Sadly, it's something I never really think of until the specific moment that I want to know how long it takes to get from point A to point B.
    Cogito, ergo sum nerdem.

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

*sigh* and now I have to go and buy the 4e FR books

Good work. I'm glad to see such a detailed map of Cormyr - it's an excellent setting. My only query would be where the borders are! Given Cormyr used to charge people to adventure and manned the borders it is quite important to be able to tell players when they have crossed into and out of Cormyr. It's a shjame that got lost in this one. However I undrestand that there is a load more detail that needed to be crammed into this. Good job - a very pretty map here, and on the other 4e maps you've got out there.

Welcome to the boards.

It's amazing. I still have yet to figure out how to do the mountains and forest like that. I also really love how you did the canyon.
    The road to success is always under construction.

Quote Originally Posted by torstan View Post
    *sigh* and now I have to go and buy the 4e FR books

Good work. I'm glad to see such a detailed map of Cormyr - it's an excellent setting. My only query would be where the borders are! Given Cormyr used to charge people to adventure and manned the borders it is quite important to be able to tell players when they have crossed into and out of Cormyr. It's a shjame that got lost in this one. However I undrestand that there is a load more detail that needed to be crammed into this. Good job - a very pretty map here, and on the other 4e maps you've got out there.

Welcome to the boards.
    The boundries are "roughly" thus:
    Stormhorns on the West, Eastern Stormhorns on the north and follow a line from them to Tilvers Gap. The eastern border is from Tilvers Gap down the Thunder Peaks to Daerlun or so and the DragonMere is the southern border.

So, only 1/4th to 1/3rd of the total area represented on the map is actually part of the Kingdom of Cormyr.
    My Finished Maps
    My Tutorials:

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast