Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dungeons and Dragons Writer

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Help Dungeons and Dragons Writer

Hello, My real name is David J Zewalk, and I'm the author of a 3.5 Module named, The Temple of Ka Mon Ra. I have joined this sight so that I could gain some insight in how to create Dungeon Maps just as good as what Wizards of the Coast does.

Right now I'm slowly working on a 4.0 module and I wish to create maps for the D&D minis. However, I really want my maps to standout and there is alot I need to learn. Hopefully, this website can help me create totally fantastic maps that will completely WOW, my role-playing audience.

Thank you

Here is the Module Cover.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ka Mon Ra Book.jpg 
Views:	393 
Size:	704.1 KB 
ID:	6869  

Welcome to the site!

There are some great tutorials and lots of good work done here.

Welcome to the guild.

First you should decide what kind of software you want and then learn to use.

There are things like GIMP, which is free, as well as specific software like Dundjinni and Profantasy's Campaign Cartographer suite of software.
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

I never saw your module but on August 13, 2008 5:52 AM

Ernie Noa said...

"Yup, I think you've got it right. He's posted on this blog once or twice too if I recall correctly. Very nice guy."

This is the link

Always happy to welcome a very nice guy .

Thanks for making me feel welcome! First of all I'm planning to use Photoshop for my maps. Wizard's of the Coast mapper guy, who ever he is, uses Photoshop, so am I. So If there are any tutorials based on photoshop map making, can you place a few of those links in this thread? Thanks a Bunch....

Here is a town that I made, it's hand-drawn and then it was cleaned up within Photoshop. Please note, the map that is posted is copy-written for my purposes only, you can however use it for personal use provided that it not used in any published material. Preview of my next Module....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mideval Village.jpg 
Views:	845 
Size:	2.89 MB 
ID:	6871  

Post Nice style.

There's lots of effort in this illustration, especially getting the perspective right in relationship between the foreground and background - noting the angling of the towers from central viewpoint. I like the detailing in the different structures, especially the non-houses.

Still there's a definite "cartoon" quality to this map, that really isn't my aesthetic, though I appreciate its value in the proper context. Perhaps its the garish colors used (the purple roofs and glowing blue windows). Also the oversized scale of the drawbridge and wall machiolation compared to the size of the buildings within, or the paper-thin machiolated walls on the structure at the top of the map.

I do like the painterly grass used throughout.

This "map" really looks like it belongs as an illustration to a children's book, which is not a bad thing, just not my aesthetic.

Nice style though.

GP
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Quote Originally Posted by Gamerprinter View Post
    There's lots of effort in this illustration, especially getting the perspective right in relationship between the foreground and background - noting the angling of the towers from central viewpoint. I like the detailing in the different structures, especially the non-houses.

Still there's a definite "cartoon" quality to this map, that really isn't my aesthetic, though I appreciate its value in the proper context. Perhaps its the garish colors used (the purple roofs and glowing blue windows). Also the oversized scale of the drawbridge and wall machiolation compared to the size of the buildings within, or the paper-thin machiolated walls on the structure at the top of the map.

I do like the painterly grass used throughout.

This "map" really looks like it belongs as an illustration to a children's book, which is not a bad thing, just not my aesthetic.

Nice style though.

GP
    The name of my next module is, The Rat Children of Mullbury Hill; hence the cartoon style that I have used for the village is appropriate for the module that I am writing. The heroes of this adventure must save the children of the village from being transformed into humanoid rat-like creatures called, Ratlings. An ancient enemy named Craven has been resurrected from the dead to stop the word of the True God from spreading throughout the world. Craven is the evil that is transforming the children into his minions that he could control and use them to attack those who would dare to worship the True God.
    Last edited by BlackLotus; 10-06-2008 at 12:43 AM.

Post Then its appropriate!

Well, then its appropriate. Since you were trying to give it that fairy tale look, you must have nailed it, because that's exactly what I saw. Good job!

GP
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Quote Originally Posted by BlackLotus View Post
    Thanks for making me feel welcome! First of all I'm planning to use Photoshop for my maps. Wizard's of the Coast mapper guy, who ever he is, uses Photoshop, so am I. So If there are any tutorials based on photoshop map making, can you place a few of those links in this thread? Thanks a Bunch....

Here is a town that I made, it's hand-drawn and then it was cleaned up within Photoshop. Please note, the map that is posted is copy-written for my purposes only, you can however use it for personal use provided that it not used in any published material. Preview of my next Module....

I really like this. My only complaint would be the hard blend from the mote outside the town. There is so much dead space and the texture does not match whats in the town. Perhaps a bit of greenery beyond the mote edges would help tone that done some.
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast