Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: WIP : Town of Fière-Muraille

Loving this map! Great progress. Looking forward to seeing it finished.

This is such a labour of love! I really like the style you've used. It works so well for those little details that makes the map fun to pore over, like the little market stalls. Lovely colour use. Do you think it would be worth making the edges of the forest a bit more scalloped / crinkly? It's a beautiful map, Narolas!

Pheeew.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WIP_14.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	4.29 MB 
ID:	75138

Welp, next time i'm doing a city this big, I probably won't draw as much detail for the buildings. It's incredibly time consuming.
    Anyway, city buildings done, now onto the small villages (piece of cake compared to what i've done), the farms, details, some locations, maybe redraw/polish the forests.. Easy !

Well, I think it's worth it Narolas. It's looking really good.

Quote Originally Posted by Narolas View Post
    Welp, next time i'm doing a city this big, I probably won't draw as much detail for the buildings. It's incredibly time consuming.
    Anyway, city buildings done, now onto the small villages (piece of cake compared to what i've done), the farms, details, some locations, maybe redraw/polish the forests.. Easy !
    Yes you will. That is what makes a project like this so grand. It is a huge millstone around your neck but it is so worth it. =P
    My new Deviant-thing. I finally caved.

This looks awesome the more detail the better. It reads on a macro/micro scale. You get the overall impression and then zoom in and get some beautiful details that really bring it to life. I wouldn't simplify it any, the level of detail is good, but not overly. This is one you'll always be proud of, anyway what else would you be doing instead?

One small critic, can you figure out a way to make the building against the cliffs fit together better?
    Last edited by snodsy; 08-05-2015 at 06:49 AM.

Wow, thanks everyone.

Snodsy, I'm not sure what you mean with the cliffs. It's true that some of the clusters against cliffs look a bit weird but i'm not sure why they're weird, i can't put my finger on what the problem is.

Hehe, welcome in the harsh world of city mapping ! It indeed requires obstination and patience... and I agree with others, it's worth it. You city is just getting better each post.

Quote Originally Posted by Ilanthar View Post
    Hehe, welcome in the harsh world of city mapping ! It indeed requires obstination and patience... and I agree with others, it's worth it. You city is just getting better each post.
    I totally agree with Ilanthar. City mapping is like pleasant torture. Self torture.
    But the rewards are many. Like climbing a mountain and looking out at the view.

Guild Expert Guild Supporter Abu Lafia's Avatar

Hi Narolas, followed the progress you made from time to time, without writing anything. I have to say i'm really impressed by your work. A lot of things have been said already but i love the overall city layout a lot! The colouring of the buildings in brown/grey/terracotta looks just awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by snodsy View Post
    One small critic, can you figure out a way to make the building against the cliffs fit together better?
    Quote Originally Posted by Narolas View Post
    Snodsy, I'm not sure what you mean with the cliffs. It's true that some of the clusters against cliffs look a bit weird but i'm not sure why they're weird, i can't put my finger on what the problem is.
    I also think the cliffs are the only(!!!) thing that falls off a bit atm. I'm not sure if it's helpful, but my first impression was, they look in some parts (mainly the most southern edge) more like a ditch(?) or a depression(?) or better: instead of this """""(____ it looks more like this: """""(_,----- (not sure if the schema makes sense, but i find it pretty hard to describe such matters in english X) )
    I'm not an expert in drawing cliffs but maybe it's just some shadows or some curved lines giving this impression?

Anyway, it isn't diminishing this spectacular piece of yours. Keep up the great work and have some rep!

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast