Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: C&C Campaign Map

Post I like it

This is a really playful style for the map. I can see a lot of fairy tale adventures happening there.
    The trees looked a little odd to me, the seem to float above the map. I am not very familiar with CC2 but if the trees are on a separate layer you might try blurring them a little. I am not sure this would cure it but the eye tends to assume the sharper focused items are closer.
    To my eye the color changes seem abrupt, especially the forest to the desert. I would have some green between between the forest and the desert and the lightly forested area around the mountains just a little more background green.
    Even with no changes its a beautiful map.

Guild Journeyer

Thank you very much.

Here's where we are, still assimilating some comments.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MapA.JPG 
Views:	70 
Size:	653.0 KB 
ID:	7232  

Guild Journeyer

Wip

Dumped the hills in the forest to get blurring on the trees layer. Many thanks to the Profantasy person for verifying my understanding of CC3 sheets. I see more serious sessions on this map and taking it to completion, with labels.

Name:	MapA.JPG 
Views:	56 
Size:	439.2 KB 
ID:	7401  
    Last edited by meleeguy; 10-28-2008 at 01:34 AM.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

I'm not quite sure that the blurring on the trees "works" (unless you have a specific reason for doing so in which case you can disregard that), I think I actually like the first version better, though the colors are a bit over saturated for my personal tastes.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Guild Journeyer

Greetings fellow mappers,

I'm back at this - I redid my troublesome tree band by adding 8 tree/hill sheets and using them successively. This works very nicely. I took a break because I do this for fun and it had become a chore.

However, I want to be in the 'practice' of finishing maps I start. This one is complete enough that I need to work on world details to drive further layout of the population.

I'm going to start a new map soon, related to my custom map driven gaming objectives.

Regards,
    -meleeguy

Name:	MapA01.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	164.6 KB 
ID:	8868  

Welcome back. The hills surrounded by the trees look good.
    Other symbols, like your towns and cities, need a little effect I think. A drop shadow or glow or something like that.
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

Noo.. I liked the trees on the hills! Bring them back!
    Seriusly thou, nice work. I like the cartoony style. How old are the players?

Guild Journeyer

Thank you both.

Hoel - Yes, I agree I'm adding tree hills back as a separate sheet for each hill layer. I think I may do some forest thinning as well. With sheets it is easy whereas before it was a mess to redo a section.

Gandwarf - I'll play around with that. Perhaps custom symbols because I'd really like some little castles in there.

-meleeguy
    Last edited by meleeguy; 01-02-2009 at 07:56 PM. Reason: ages 5 - 7, so I have some time :)

NymTevlyn

Blurring things is usually a bad idea. Especially on symbols like the trees. It would be better to blend the terrain colors more effectively and run a few filters in GIMP or Photoshop to roughen it up.

Guild Journeyer

Back at it.

Name:	MapD.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	271.4 KB 
ID:	11474  

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12