Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: June / July '15 Lite Challenge: Halarnoth (The Shattered Isles)

Post June / July '15 Lite Challenge: Halarnoth (The Shattered Isles)

Hello,

Just a coastline and an idea for now.

I decided to make this an extension to my last map, just because I thought it was a cool idea and could add something quite dramatic to that world.

This is the Shattered Isles, once called Halarnoth by those in the North.

The tales tell of a great battle between the gods themselves...
    Svargroth, the ruiner, came from the pits of Earth itself, and sent forth flame and smoke, making the land desolate.
    Then Mjorgroth the cleanser, who lived in the darkest trenches of the sea, sent forth the mountains of the oceans, and swept away the flames of Svargroth.
    In his wrath, Svargroth set his mighty hammer against the land of Halarnoth, and broke the land.

Though the tales are set it legend, (and will hopefully be a bit more poetic later on) they tell of a geographic catastrophe, in which an earth quake, which triggered many chains of tidal waves and volcanoes, wiped out an entire civilization of people. Some great forgotten cataclysm, a super volcano, pushed up mountains around it, and reformed the land.

### Latest WIP ###Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HALARNOTH 2.jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	1.09 MB 
ID:	74315

Welcome to the challenge, Wolram. Glad you're joining in.

You're off to a great start and I love your backstory. You can't beat an angry god with a hammer smashing up the land. I've wanted to do that myself sometimes LOL!

Looking forward to your next WIP.
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

Yes this is a fun challenge I couldn't resist.

It's a bit of a cheesy idea maybe, but I've never done it before, and what a great opportunity!

Nah, it's a good idea with lots of potential and it suits the challenge really well. Have fun destroying the landscape!

Hey, this looks pretty neat so far! Cataclysms and wars between gods are always fun to dream up

Welcome to the challenge Wolram, you are off to a great start!

Helloooo,

I've added some colour and more detail on the mountains, I initially started drawing this as a hellish landscape in the aftermath of volcanic cataclysm. But I was looking around at some world examples, and actually the ash from volcanoes brings excellent fertility to the land around it, and often landscapes recover surprisingly fast, and bring new minerals to the surface. So I thought I would tell the story of a people living with the struggle of reclaiming the land that had been taken from them, and facing the risks of geographic instability for better resources. Civilization is built first and foremost on food surplus, so I'm dreaming up the dawn of a new civilization within Arvascr and the surround islands. I always thought people were mad living near volcanoes, but there are huge advantages in populating places like this.

### Latest WIP ###Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HALARNOTH 3.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	1.17 MB 
ID:	74329

Love your coloring and lifework, mountains are nice, great story to tell too. Great start!

A couple small picky things I saw - I think there is some inconsistency in the shadow areas of the mountains. The area next to MJORVASCR seems too dark, and the Plains of Tulinor's mountain cliffs seem lighter.

The sunny side of your mountains (around the LOST CITY OF FJORN LABEL) the mountain lines all flow all the way down - couple be perceived to look like rivers flowing, maybe some lines don't go all the way down to give the mountain more crevices. Nice Job.

We have a contender!!

This is looking fab, Wolram. I love your mountains and wish I could draw them so well. Colouring looks great so far.

Quote Originally Posted by snodsy View Post
    I think there is some inconsistency in the shadow areas of the mountains. The area next to MJORVASCR seems too dark, and the Plains of Tulinor's mountain cliffs seem lighter.

The sunny side of your mountains (around the LOST CITY OF FJORN LABEL) the mountain lines all flow all the way down - couple be perceived to look like rivers flowing
    Well spotted Snodsy, thanks for pointing those out!

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast