Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Raedirk Freehold

Default Raedirk Freehold

I've not been very productive lately so I'm starting a new map just to try and get back into a routine. I decided to do another village. Here is a sketch of the layout. I'm mostly happy with it but I'm just going to go ahead and start making it proper regardless. I plant to get in all the basic buildings tonight - I'll be doing it similar to my Carremvek map. This is how I generally start all of my town maps by the way.

And naturally I find it harder to work on a map if I can't think of at least a bit of backstory so I made some up as I was doing the sketch. So this is Readirk Freehold! It lies north of the ruined city of Argot and northeast of Carremvek in the lands of Baron Sallaego whose castle (well more of a tower house) is a mile or so to the southeast. Unfortunately the Baron and his family are all dead (and there isn't exactly a line of people queuing up to succeed him as his lands are now considered cursed) and the people of the village have been left to fend for themselves. Some refugees from Argot and farmsteads nearby have also taken up residence in the village which has led to some tensions with the original inhabitants.

Other interesting characters include a witch (she used to be an outcast but now people have been turning to her for help - they even killed the village priest for her!), and the local Callo (a title which is similar to a mayor or bailiff). The people have also taken to cremating the dead now instead of burying them. You know, just to be sure.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	raedirkfreeholdsketch.jpg 
Views:	213 
Size:	276.3 KB 
ID:	74364  
    My new Deviant-thing. I finally caved.

It looks like a good start to me . Will you do a regional map with all your cities/villages on it?

Oh yay, this shall be fun to watch. Always appreciate your town maps Larb.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Welcome back Larb. I missed you!

Really great start.

I was a bit busy yesterday but I got a big chunk of the linework done this morning. Still plenty more to do. I'm quite happy how the log rampart has turned out.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	raedirkfreehold_WIP.jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	292.2 KB 
ID:	74437  

Oh yeah, looking good!
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

I'm loving it so far!

I like how it's coming together Larb.
    I agree, the log rampart looks good. I also like those spikes you've got going around the fort.
    Are you going to make a book out of all of the Argot material? or maybe a module?

That is looking great!

J.Edward: I don't know what I'm going to do with it all yet - I just like working on a bunch of places that are interconnected.

Ilanther: I do have a regional map I've been working on but I'm not very happy with it at the moment. I am considering doing a more local map instead though.

Haven't done a great deal more on this today because it has been so hot and I'm not a warm weather person.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast