Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Working on a logo (suggestions please)

Quote Originally Posted by Gamerprinter View Post
    Actually, I have a real peace maker pistol to hold in front of my face and properly gauge its scale to the size of my skull - my scales are accurate.
    That's not what I said. Balance doesn't mean accurate size. Balance means having the same visual weight.

In your last version, the art doesn't have balance, because the arrangement of elements in relation to the other elements. You can keep them the same size, if you can arrange the other elements to balance them. But that seems much harder, and would probably introduce more issues.

Oh, I understand what balance means, I unconsciously, asymmetrically balance every map I create. And certainly maintaining scale of the gun to the skull isn't necessary for balance, but it is necessary (to me) as a design parameter. It would be like trying to justify two different scaled objects in the same map - I couldn't do that.

And you're seeing my problem with this logo, yes, the graphic on the left isn't properly balanced with the gun. I don't need another graphic that represents the old west. Since the setting is "Gothic" as well as "Western", I need a gothic representation for the other graphic, and the setting's primary schtick is "creepy, slimy things with tenticles from an alternate plane of existence making incursions into the old west", so I just have to figure out what best fits that theme, and at the same time is balanced with the revolver graphically (and the same scale)... that's what is giving me an issue.

Otherwise I would just post a completed logo design and not ask for assistance (like I am).
    Last edited by Gamerprinter; 06-29-2015 at 06:16 PM.
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

As an aside, since coming up with this idea (1 week ago or so), and having created map content - trains, train station, and currently working on a local jail and courthouse, I've already picked up two writers (besides myself) for setting development and one-shot authoring. One of the them, Mike Riter, has done several freelance writing commissions for Flaming Crab Games, and discovering my thread discussing this setting on the Paizo boards, he PM'd me he wanted to write for it. We've already spent 5 days working on the setting development, especially on the Corruption rules of the setting, very much inspired by CoC, though Corruption is a combination of insanity and aberrant properties acquired.

Just tonight, one of the CBGers, Steerpike (Jonathan Newell) who has created many homebrew dark horror settings and adventures - and he's awefully talented at it, has also joined the writing staff and will be writing several one-shots, and help on the development side as well.

I've also got Mark Hyzer, an illustrator who has done many MtG card art pieces, plus many of the illustrations used in my Kaidan setting of Japanese horror (PFRPG), doing the cover art for this module.

The staff is growing, and our potential to get a release sooner rather than later is greatly improved!
    Last edited by Gamerprinter; 06-30-2015 at 03:45 AM.
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Well I'm a designer by profession, and though I agree, I normally absolutely detest unreadable fonts, unreadable fonts have a place as a title font only (as long as its not completely unreadable). Anyone who would use an unreadable font as body text, I would totally agree with the sentiment, but no matter what the "experts" say (I never listen to what the "experts" on anything say - I judge everything on my own), I find the word's Gothic Western in Bleeding Cowboy font, extremely readable and optimum for the purpose of "creepy old west" in theme. I make the judgement call all the time in designs I do for customers. Just because something doesn't work in one instance, doesn't mean it never works. I like it, and really that's all that matters - if however, multiple people stated that they couldn't read the text, it would be an issue. Since I read it fine - its fine.

I'm not concerned.
    Last edited by Gamerprinter; 07-10-2015 at 03:09 PM.
    DrivethruRPG store

These types of 'worst fonts' lists always amuse me. Often there's really nothing wrong with the font itself. It's simply overuse, or inappropriate use (like this jawdropper) that's the issue. I thought the font you chose worked well with what you're trying to achieve. I also agree with the comment about hard-to-read fonts. You can get away with it in a large point title where it's just a couple of words, but I see some blogs around the web using overly fancy fonts for body text and it takes three times as long to read. Google Fonts is a great resource but man it's got a lot to answer for!
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

Well I'm a designer by profession, and though I agree, I normally absolutely detest unreadable fonts, unreadable fonts have a place as a title font only (as long as its not completely unreadable). Anyone who would use an unreadable font as body text, I would totally agree with the sentiment, but no matter what the "experts" say (I never listen to what the "experts" on anything say - I judge everything on my own), I find the word's Gothic Western in Bleeding Cowboy font, extremely readable and optimum for the purpose of "creepy old west" in theme. I make the judgement call all the time in designs I do for customers. Just because something doesn't work in one instance, doesn't mean it never works. I like it, and really that's all that matters - if however, multiple people stated that they couldn't read the text, it would be an issue. Since I read it fine - its fine.

I'm not concerned.
    Who said you should be concerned? No need to be defensive. I only shared it because it was timely and I came across it while this discussion was going on.

Quote Originally Posted by TimPaul View Post
    Who said you should be concerned? No need to be defensive. I only shared it because it was timely and I came across it while this discussion was going on.
    I wasn't being defensive, I was just pointing out that such experts lists aren't a concern of mine - I don't recognize their expertise as it applies to my projects.

Really, I'm looking for ideas on what graphic to use to balance the pistol on the opposite side of the text and nothing about the text itself. However, I've decided to create a small chest (representing an artifact) with tentacles rising from it. So I guess I consider this thread closed.
    DrivethruRPG store

I wasn't being defensive, I was just pointing out that such experts lists aren't a concern of mine - I don't recognize their expertise as it applies to my projects.

Really, I'm looking for ideas on what graphic to use to balance the pistol on the opposite side of the text and nothing about the text itself. However, I've decided to create a small chest (representing an artifact) with tentacles rising from it. So I guess I consider this thread closed.
    See, saying you don't recognize their expertise, that's being defensive.

I posted it as something humorous to the subject, without any indication that you should change it.

Then I misread your post, but I still don't feel I'm ever feeling defensive actually on any subject. I have opinions, but not for the sake of defensibility. I just don't consider them experts. I still consider this thread closed, so please don't respond.
    Last edited by Gamerprinter; 07-13-2015 at 05:27 PM.
    DrivethruRPG store

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast