Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Working on a logo (suggestions please)

Working on page layout for the upcoming Horror on Gila Express one-shot module for the Gothic Western setting - this is the Appendix page for Artifact. What do you think of the borders, and old card illustrations?

GP

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	appendix-7-artifact.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	178.4 KB 
ID:	74914
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Slight adjustment on page layout after some suggestions on a graphic design board. I broke the frame surrounding the text, removed the lines, but kept the decorative corners. I scaled the text down somewhat to offer more breathing room between columns, as well as putting more space between the frame corners and the page edges. Also removed the superflous word "page" from the page number. I'm using public domain art where ever I can (to keep art costs down), at the same time emphasizing the 19th century Old West flavor - here's the first page of content following cover, credits, and table of contents pages. Enjoy!

Edit: noticed a spelling error in Anasazi, have fixed it already.

GP

Name:	gila-express.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	179.9 KB 
ID:	74932
    Last edited by Gamerprinter; 07-24-2015 at 10:20 AM.
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Final version of this page. Silly me, I should have used a transparency filter so that the image isn't white on parchment, but rather an illustration showing the parchment background - I don't know why I didn't incorporate that in the first place. Also fixed the misspelling.

Name:	gila-express-final.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	177.3 KB 
ID:	74934
    DrivethruRPG store

I like it. One minor point I would make if you want to go for authenticity is to remove the feathered fade from the edges of the image.

Actual works printed in these ways did not have this kind of feathered fade out. Instead images were composed with cross hatching or general line stroking that brought them to a more natural end at their edges. I understand that such a thing may entail more work than you would like however - this is unfortunately a disadvantage of the digital mimicking the physical. Another option is to simply not make the fade so pronounced by breaking up its uniformity or some other such variation.

The above is a very minor nit pick, which should in itself be a viewed as support for the work you have produced.

Good stuff!

Quote Originally Posted by Kanny View Post
    I like it. One minor point I would make if you want to go for authenticity is to remove the feathered fade from the edges of the image.

Actual works printed in these ways did not have this kind of feathered fade out. Instead images were composed with cross hatching or general line stroking that brought them to a more natural end at their edges. I understand that such a thing may entail more work than you would like however - this is unfortunately a disadvantage of the digital mimicking the physical. Another option is to simply not make the fade so pronounced by breaking up its uniformity or some other such variation.

The above is a very minor nit pick, which should in itself be a viewed as support for the work you have produced.

Good stuff!
    Good point, better?

GP

Name:	gila-express-final-1.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	176.7 KB 
ID:	74943
    DrivethruRPG store

Much better! Looks good

Another minor issue, the four details you have n the corners look a little browner than the rest of the text/images. This was obviously possible at the time using a different ink, but that would require the sheet being run through a press twice - which would be expensive and probably not a thing you would do on such a minor detail.

Now obviously this is only really an issue if you want everything to be authentic, but obviously if you are going to have full colour images on later pages I think your all ready going to be moving into realms where people will have to suspend their disbelief a fraction in terms of this being an "authentic" manuscript.

That aside I can't really think of anything else. Again very much a nit pick, its all really a matter of how far you want to go in terms of making this representative of the time.
    Last edited by Kanny; 07-25-2015 at 07:01 AM.

Oh and maybe the text could use the same brown as the picture to make it look more homogeneous, or let it stay black to make it stand out.

Quote Originally Posted by Kanny View Post
    Much better! Looks good

Another minor issue, the four details you have n the corners look a little browner than the rest of the text/images. This was obviously possible at the time using a different ink, but that would require the sheet being run through a press twice - which would be expensive and probably not a thing you would do on such a minor detail.

Now obviously this is only really an issue if you want everything to be authentic, but obviously if you are going to have full colour images on later pages I think your all ready going to be moving into realms where people will have to suspend their disbelief a fraction in terms of this being an "authentic" manuscript.

That aside I can't really think of anything else. Again very much a nit pick, its all really a matter of how far you want to go in terms of making this representative of the time.
    Yes, I've worked the print industry since the 1980's, so I know very much what's involved, and the thought did cross my mind, but yes, there will be 4 color images here and there, including the map, plus I want to be readable, so solid black is best recommendation for that. If you look at one of the previous posts, I've included old illustrations of playing cards that are in color.

I've got access to an 1876 plat book of LaSalle County Illinois (where I'm from) and using it for reference on color, style, fonts, etc.
    Last edited by Gamerprinter; 07-25-2015 at 03:23 PM.
    DrivethruRPG store

Guild Novice

I realize you're asking about layout but the big thing that jarred me was:

"The telegraph message read, 'The New Orleans Masonic lodge reports that an unknown eldritch artifact is being transported aboard the Georgia Line from Atlanta, with clues pointing to a Yuma destination. Board the Gila Express change-over at El Paso Station on the 15th. FInd and retrieve the artifact before it reaches Yuma. An officer of the Texas Rangers will meet you aboard the Gila Express to arrest and detain the perpetrator, and offer assistance. G.H. Burnside, Knights Commander of the Order of the Knights Templar, Philadelphia Lodge.'"

That's not a telegraph message. WAY too verbose.

"NEW ORLEANS MASONIC LODGE REPORTS UNKNOWN ELDRITCH ARTIFACT ABOARD GEORGIA LINE FROM ATLANTA DESTINATION YUMA -STOP- URGENT YOU BOARD GILA EXPRESS EL PASO STATION 15TH -STOP- IMPERATIVE YOU RETRIEVE ARTIFACT BEFORE YUMA -STOP- TEXAS RANGER WILL CONTACT YOU EN ROUTE -STOP- ARREST THOSE RESPONSIBLE -STOP- G H BURNSIDE KNIGHT COMMANDER ORDER KNIGHTS TEMPLAR PHILADELPHIA LODGE"

THAT's a telegraph message - including the allcaps. The original text will simply undo all the wonderful immersion your graphics are attempting to impart. Just thought you might want to pass that suggestion along.
    Last edited by Man in the Funny Hat; 07-25-2015 at 04:33 PM.

Well since you're the second person to point to a telegraph message issue, I guess I'll change that too.

As an aside I've been struggling with the cover design as well, having done 3 different ones so far, and none are meeting my satisfaction. New idea though, I've seen some 19th century Harper's Weekly cover designs, and am now inspired to emulate Harper's Weekly in style for cover and credits pages, at least.

Name:	gila-express-final-2.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	178.5 KB 
ID:	74950
    Last edited by Gamerprinter; 07-25-2015 at 05:25 PM.
    DrivethruRPG store

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast