Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: June/July'15 Lite Challenge - Halifax Disaster

Good additions.

I take back my comment. That looks awesome!

Wow, this is fab. Educational and attractive!

The second WIP is an amazing improvement from the first and it looks awesome! I love the explosion effect on the buildings. It works beautifully to convey the sense of the blast.

But joking aside, what an horrific accident. I can hardly comprehend the power of the explosion. :/
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

That's looking just excellent! Good style and a lot of details.

### LATEST WIP ### added the Tsunami wave to one side only, thought that was better than both. Added boats, Chick as I was adding them I thought about how their live changed in an instances, so traumatic for them, what a catastrophe this must have been for years.

The biggest part left to do are the 3 illustrated icons, then finish all the roof lines and shadows, lots still to do, better boats maybe. Comments welcome.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TheHalifaxExplosion3-01.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	1.53 MB 
ID:	74473

Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by snodsy View Post
    ### LATEST WIP ### added the Tsunami wave to one side only, thought that was better than both. Added boats, Chick as I was adding them I thought about how their live changed in an instances, so traumatic for them, what a catastrophe this must have been for years.
    Hmmm, I was confused until I realized you were talking to ChickPea, and not to me In any case, nice job, looking great

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Meshon's Avatar

What an interesting idea, sorry I'm late to the kudos, it's a solid project. I was going to suggest making this look a bit more 1917, using some different typefaces and colour, but honestly, I think that's not necessary (though of course I'd love to see it all in sepia colours, with a condensed gothic sans for the headlines and Garamond for the body! Just me...).

I think the Norwegian ship was just called Imo, rather than IMO.

I lived in Halifax for about a year, and wandered around the Hydrostone area. It was rebuilt after the explosion, and benefitted from some forward thinking and modernisation in design. I'd also be remiss if I didn't mention Patrick Vincent Coleman, a train dispatcher who stayed at his post to send his final telegraphs about the burning ship. If not for his message, at least one train carrying some 300 people would have been unloading passengers just a few hundred meters away when the Mont Blanc exploded. His telegraphs also served to get the word out quickly about the disaster, which resulted in rapid mobilisation of aid. I think Halifax still sends a Christmas tree to Boston every year in commemoration of the immediate relief efforts Massachusetts provided.

The roof lines you've got look good, I don't think you need to be overly detailed there. You could try using a scatter brush to lay in the appearance of rubble around the epicentre, but what you've got at the moment does a really good job of suggesting the kinetic burst at the moment of the explosion.

It's also really cool to see modern mapping projects, since I spend all my time in pseudo medieval fantasy worlds...

Cheers,
    Meshon

Thanks for the input Meshon, I'll definitely try the splatter brush , I do want to have the area more devastated and burnt, things almost vaporized, as bad as that sounds.

The font is a contemporary version of the American Gothics and takes a lot from Bernhard Gothic -- PF Bau Sans. Garamond is much earlier renaissance style if I went with a serif, I'd probably go with a Goudy font since he was popular at the time. Bernhard Antique would probably match well.

Thanks for the info on Patrick, pretty amazing. There was a blizzard at the same time which slowed some relief help, I think Boston came to the rescue because of that and I did read about the Christmas tree.

### LATEST WIP ### Made the blast in waves, added the front edge of the tsunami, cleaned up the layout of the 1-4 for the copy up top. Zoomed in on the area and used the Scatter Brush Meshon mentioned. Still need to do roof tops in Richmond and shadow all the houses (maybe overkill at this scale? Still need to do icon/photos, or maybe leave - time dependent. Maybe a little better map of the region. Comments welcome. Might try a Newspaper Headline style with a greyscale of the map??Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HalifaxExplosion4-01.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	2.42 MB 
ID:	74522

### LATEST WIP ### Simplfy. Not sure anymore, taken a break for a couple day on this one. Trying to give more emphasis on the map. Comments welcome. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HalifaxExplosion6-01.jpg 
Views:	4901 
Size:	2.28 MB 
ID:	74553

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast