Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: June / July '15 Lite Challenge: Donall's Bane

That rift looks ALIVE!

Your mountain shadows looked fine on my work computer, I still can't see them on my home computer! Now I'm worried what my maps must look like to everyone else!!!

The rift is looking good! It will be interesting to see what you do with the surrounding area. Maybe have something near the rift that can pick up that red glow!

Hey Meshon! Delighted you dropped by to dispense droplets of, eh, wisdom!

I think you're right about the shading. Probably because my shading isn't that consistent and neat (I was one of those kids who could never stay within the lines with the colouring-in books.) I think everyone can more or less see it now, though I might still increase the opacity a little bit more. I'll see how it looks when everything else is done.

About the vapours ... oh man, you shouldn't encourage me! I've redone them (though I still have the originals) and this is my over-the-top version. When I look at it again, I do kinda like the big plumes, because they really do grab the eye, but maybe too much. I will put it to the Guild: big plumes or little plumes?

### Latest WIP ###

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	donall4.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	492.2 KB 
ID:	74504

Also, I can't shake the feeling the plume to the far right is giving me the finger...
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

Quote Originally Posted by Wolram View Post
    Your mountain shadows looked fine on my work computer, I still can't see them on my home computer! Now I'm worried what my maps must look like to everyone else!!!

The rift is looking good! It will be interesting to see what you do with the surrounding area. Maybe have something near the rift that can pick up that red glow!
    I only looked at your map on my main PC, but it looked great there, so I wouldn't worry.

I'm thinking of trying to do a cracked, dry earth effect in the immediate vicinity of the rift. Not sure how it'll look, but I'll give it a go. I like the idea of the glow reflected in some of the surrounding landscape and will see if I can work that in.

Guild Expert Guild Supporter Abu Lafia's Avatar

Hey Chick "subtlety is not my middlename" Pea, good to see you threw yourself into the next challenge, but keep in mind that you can only participate in lite challenges if you have less than three silver medals XD It seems i need to hurry if i wanna "compete" with you again (at least in a lite challenge)

But about your nice entry:
    First of all: I vote for big plumes! The small ones weren't representative enough for a proper "denizens of a demonic dimension" revenge in my view.
    I really like the ridge linework and the shading is great. Curious what comes next...
    Cheers,
    AL

Nice plumes!

Hey Abu!

Oh boy, I completely forgot about that three silver compasses limit (mostly because I never thought I'd win one, never mind two.) I don't think I'm quite ready to go head-to-head with Max yet! I'll forgive you for not having joined in another challenge, since you're doing such an amazing job with your Dol Amroth map.

I'm glad you like the bigger plumes, and yes, I have to live up to my middle name LOL! I should have just gone with my first instinct but sometimes I get too carried away in my enthusiasm then I chicken out.

Next will be a destroyed castle, which I'm hoping to get stuck into over the weekend, in between watching the Tour de France, so dunno how far I'll go. I'm hoping to update again in a couple of days.

Wolram, thanks!

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Meshon's Avatar

I vote for the big plumes, even if they are behaving rudely.

cheers,
    Meshon

A grayscale map with a deep red cut in the middle - a great choice for this theme. I don't know if that was your intention, but your map gives out the impression of a winter landscape, so now I'm wishing for some ice caps on the top of the mountains, paired with deeper grays around that burning wound in the center of your world...

Meshon, yup, big plumes it is!

Shall Teclex, it wasn't my intention to create a winter landscape, though I can see how it comes across that way. I'm not sure about adding ice caps, partly because it's not really what I'm aiming for, and partly because I have no idea if I could draw them LOL! Thanks for the suggestion though.

I've revised some of the stuff I had intended to do, and after a lot of faffing about, this is my latest WIP. I'd like to say this is approaching being finished, barring some small changes that I might make after I've stared at it for a day or two, so I'm hoping there's no major issues. I've looked at it too much today and I need to step away. I dunno if I've also run into Wolram's problem with perspective. I envision the land sloping downwards towards the bottom of the pic. Not sure if I've quite pulled it off or not. Also, my cartouche might be completely over the top! I nicked the idea from a carving on a pictish standing stone and I like the way it kinda gives the impression of a warrior's helm, as well as a traditional Celtic/Pictish sort of feel.

Anyway, this is where I'm at now...

### Latest WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	donall5.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	1.37 MB 
ID:	74686

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast