Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do I make my colors have "texture", this kind of label, and land masses?

Question How do I make my colors have "texture", this kind of label, and land masses?

Hi. I'm a bit new to using programs like gimp, and I need a bit of help. I was making a simple map as my first project, and I wanted to create a volcano-like area, and I was looking for inspiration and I came across this map: http://eragon2589.deviantart.com/art/Oreen-498739608

You can probably see, that his desert has a sand texture, his grass has a nice texture, and his volcano island has a rocky texture. Also, you can see most of his labels for areas are curved, how do I do that? Also, my land masses look nothing like his, I used the solid noise method, how did he do that? Also, I'm using gimp. Any reply is appreciated, thanks.

Also, I should have stated that I read about how he did the textures in the comments of the map, but I don't know how he overlayed them with a different shape to fit just the area he needed

That's what I thought at first, but in the description he said he used a layer with a texture and then changed the opacity, but the problem is I don't know how to make the overlay fit only the area I want it to change the texture of.

It sounds like he's using Photoshop, based on his descriptions.

I don't think he applied different textures to different sections of his map like you may be thinking. I think each section of his map started out as a different layer. I'm surmising he probably did it like this:

In Photoshop, each layer can be manipulated with "Layer Styles", and one of the options under the "Bevel and Emboss" Layer Styles is Texture.

I think he assigned a specific texture to his different layers, and then manipulated how much of that texture could be seen: by adjusting the opacity of the Layer Style itself, not the layer entirely...

And how it is seen: later he mentions the water's "blend mode" having a 70% overlay and opacity--both of those are options that can be adjusted in Layer Styles (and other places) to determine what the Style's effect (in his case, a texture he applied) is going to be on that particular layer.

I think he then applied other Layer Style options to different layers--that's where he says he made his water satin and applied a color overlay. Both of those are Layer Styles tools as well. His water was probably a completely different layer.

It looks like he then faded out the edges of some of the layers, overlapping one on top of the other, each a different kind of terrain. Some of his layers probably had specifically selected edges to they have a hard shape (like his water or islands).

So it may seem like he's applying textures to specific sections of his map, but actually he's not. He's applying textures to specific layers, then overlapping all those layers and flattening the image in the end so they all become one layer, each area with its own special modifications applied to it via Layer Styles before it was flattened.

I don't use GIMP, but I think your quandary may be in terminology. I think sometimes the programs use terms differently. If GIMP has a "layers styles" plugin, you might be able to do what Eragon2589 is talking about in the way he did it (does something like that even exist?) But I'm pretty sure GIMP offers different ways to accomplish pretty much the same thing...
    Last edited by Coreyartus; 07-01-2015 at 03:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by overki11 View Post
    That's what I thought at first, but in the description he said he used a layer with a texture and then changed the opacity, but the problem is I don't know how to make the overlay fit only the area I want it to change the texture of.
    Photoshop might work a little different here - I don't use it, so I wouldn't know.

In GIMP, I can see two ways: layer masks and layer groups.
    Layer masks are transparency masks for one specific layer. They adjust where a layer is visible or transparent. You just save these masks to other layers or channels, to reuse them.

In this case, you would use a layer mask detailing the form of your region, and apply this mask to the layers holding the colour and the texture.

Layer groups are way to specify which layers affect other layers. First, all of the layers within a group are calculated, only then is this whole result applied to the other layers (or layergroups) beneath it.

Here you could work similar to Photoshop: have your basic form of the region - shape on transparent, and then add texture / colour layers on top of that to influence this basic shape layer. These adjustment layers will only influence the layers within the layer group, nothing outside of it.

I hope that was understandable. I could whip up some small pictures to illustrate what I meant, if you like.

If you could, that would be great. Sorry for the trouble, I'm a bit new to gimp and creating images like this.

Hope this helps. If you need advice on how to add and handle layer masks or layer groups, just ask.
    (And of course I managed to include an error: the layerstyle for the colour layers in the "Group" method must be "multiply" not "normal")
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GroupedLayers.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	345.9 KB 
ID:	74495   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MaskedLayers.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	341.5 KB 
ID:	74496  

Thank you for the help, but how do I make the layer masks?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast