Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I Thought Tectonics Would Be Easy But...

Awesome! Good on you! (And I'm jealous. How did you do it? Compile using pip? I keep getting errors.)

You don't need to generate ridiculously high-resolution maps. You just need rough overview maps that get the tectonics right. Then export the height map to your editor of choice and convert it to higher resolution, load it into Wilbur or Fractal Mapper, and go to town editing it. (One run through a very mild Wilbur erosion cycle will soften it up.) Or you could do all of the editing manually in your Photoshop/GIMP equivalent, as many on this forum love to do. Many tutorials available on doing it that way, here

The really helpful thing is that it looks like WorldEngine figures out precipitation, surface temperature, and Holdridge zones for you! How awesome is that?!? (This is where Fractal Mapper meets its limitations- it's climate model is very basic.) And Holdridge zones are probably more helpful than the Koppen climates that we seem to use traditionally, frankly.
    Last edited by acrosome; 07-04-2015 at 02:35 PM.

I currently have my desktop PC (quad core) generating three 2048x2048 maps. I'll Wilbur and colourise the best-looking of the three and post it here when it's ready.

What's your OS? I assume Windows if you're calling it a PC?

Windows 7.

Quote Originally Posted by Umbral Reaver View Post
    Windows 7.
    Yes, they do give great instructions for Windows installs, but seem to assume that the linux people are all ubergeeks who can figure it out on their own.

Maybe I'll break down and boot XP.

I do wish WorldEngine had some kind of progress indicator. It just says 'it could take a few minutes'.

Count your blessings. You motivated me, so I broke down and booted XP (though I consider it a defeat) and I can't even get pip to work. I'm in the Python27 directory and I still keep getting an error:

C:\Python27>pip install wheel
    'pip' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.

And I do have pip installed. If I try to install it again I get:

C:\Python27>python get-pip.py
    Requirement already up-to-date: pip in c:\python27\lib\site-packages

So I'm stuck in windows, too..

The devs admit that using this method to generate world maps is, er, a bit processor intensive and takes a long time. They also say that memory useage is far from optimized at this point in development. Looking forward to seeing your maps, though.
    Last edited by acrosome; 07-04-2015 at 03:52 PM.

I went to bed while it was running. Hooray! It crashed.

Let's start that again. This time, running only one instance of the generator. Maybe multiple instances made it have problems.

I never got WorldEngine to work either, just so you guys feel some sympathy for your failures And extra satisfaction from the successes!

Here's one result, Wilbur'd a bit and colourised. It doesn't look great.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	colourmap.jpg 
Views:	161 
Size:	827.3 KB 
ID:	74574

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast