Thread: GIMP/General question about symetrical patterns

Post GIMP/General question about symetrical patterns

What would be the best way to create a symmetrical pattern in Gimp(or something free)? I am thinking of things like Compasses, etc. Is there an easy way, or is it just one of those things that you have to just be careful doing? Eg.

Say I want to create an arrow:

Hopefuly, my poor ASCII art skills get across what I am trying to accomplish here, ie, a tapered head and tail with a bisecting center line.

Likewise, how would someone go about making a slightly more complicated pattern such as a Celtic knot or or something like that? Are there any free tools out there that help do this sort of thing?
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Badger's Avatar

I would try to pull it off in a vector program like Inkscape or Xara ...something you can make one half of the item you want and then mirror it

you could try (in gimp) making half of it and then copy it, rotate it (probably 180 degrees) and then do Transform: Flip Vertically (or is it horizontally? cant remember....) and then move it to where you want it. That might work
    "When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in a rather scornful tone," it means just what I choose it to mean -- neither more nor less."
    "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many things."

"The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master -- that's all."

-Lewis Carrol: Through the Looking Glass