Thread: My 1st building... and some problems

Guild Journeyer MadCartographer's Avatar

Default My 1st building... and some problems

Here is a pic of my 1st building I have done, and I am having a problem.

I use CC3 (so if there are any experts, please advise).

Notice the tiling on the roofs and the tile on the wooden floors.... I cant get them to behave properly.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Untitled 1.jpg 
Views:	155 
Size:	3.04 MB 
ID:	74589
    _________
    User of:
    CC2 & CC3, FT Pro Exclusively.
    If it's ProFantasy, I'm using it.

Guild Apprentice

I'm a total amateur at map-making, and I'm afraid I haven't used CC3, so I'm probably not going to be much help. I usually use photoshop or GIMP, so I am unfamiliar with the limitations and benefits of your software.

I like the detail you have added inside the building, such as including a back storage room, and varying the size of the bedrooms. Adding realistic touches like this makes the building more real. One thing I particularly like is the ring of shadow around the exterior of the main building; it really makes the walls pop out at you. I think the other buildings could benefit from a similar effect, as they look rather flat right now.

In the south-east corner of the map, the grass texture blends into the dirt pretty smoothly. Could you use the same blending affect along the edge of the cobbled pathway through the center of town? It might look more natural than the sharp edges you currently have.

I see that the tiles on the roofs of the other buildings do not line up along the central seam. Is this the issue you were talking about? I'm guessing that this is because the shadowed half and the lighter half are two different objects you placed? I am entirely unfamiliar with the program you are using, so I can't really help much. If you are saving the image as a JPG or some other image file, you could potentially fix this problem importing the final image into something like GIMP. If you don't add the shadowed half of the roof in your original program, you could fairly easily add a rectangle of semi-transparent black over the roof in GIMP or any other image software. That's more work though, and someone may be able to help you with the program you are currently using. Just an idea!

The floor/roof tiles cannot be rotated because they are placed only in the orientation of the original tiles. One way around this is to use a floor or roof graphic that is handled as an object, like the furniture or a rug.

Examples:

Name:	House-Mossy_CG_bg.png 
Views:	45 
Size:	1.10 MB 
ID:	74595 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wood_texture___24_by_agf81-d3k0tf0.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	350.8 KB 
ID:	74596

Thanks guys.... working on the update.
    _________
    User of:
    CC2 & CC3, FT Pro Exclusively.
    If it's ProFantasy, I'm using it.